UNDP supports countries around the world to formulate strategies and policies that promote human development, reduce inequality and poverty, and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). To advance these aims, UNDP provides technical policy advice and programming tools to help address critical and inter-linked sustainable development challenges such as inequality, climate change, human development and natural disaster. In this regard, via leveraging a network of expertise across the SDGs, regionally and globally, UNDP intends to influence, shape and activate platforms for intersectoral collaboration on complex, multi-faceted, and 'frontier' issues in sustainable development and promote innovate solutions and partnership in response.
At the country level, UNDP Mali Office works closely with government counterparts and other national and subnational stakeholders to support the introduction of inclusive economic growth and sustainable development policies that respond to the national and sub-regional priorities. At the core of this support is a focus on complex problems that relate to multiple thematic/SDG areas in defining their complexity, scalability, entry points as well as the integration of policy, data and analytics, innovation, and finance.
Against this backdrop, UNDP Mali is recruiting a Head of SDG integration to coordinate support on SDG implementation in the country via its new Country Programme (2020 - 2024) and ensure that UNDP's programmatic/policy offer /integrated services are informed by its experiences on the ground and by the broader debates and analytical advances on SDG implementation. The Head of SDG integration based in UNDP country office is a member of the UNDP Mali Strategy and Policy team and contributes to its work, including through support to policy dialogue with government officials and other partners, assistance in programme development, and production of research and analysis. S/he will also collaborate and share experiences and practices across countries, inside and outside the regional and global UNDP network.
Furthermore, the world today is confronting issues, challenges, and flow of ideas/information and at a pace it has never experienced before. This requires forecasting, agility, innovation and thinking outside the box. UNDP is disrupting its way of thinking, investing, delivering and managing to perform faster, better and at scale. This is part of the new vision of UNDP,
The NextGenUNDP that aims to support countries around the world to formulate strategies and policies that promote fast learning and innovation as UNDP’s organizational DNA. To this end, globally 60 UNDP offices to include UNDP Mali are in the process of establishing the Accelerator Lab. The Head of SDG integration acts as the Project Manager of the Accelerator Lab to coordinate and manage its strategic work.
Under the general guidance of the UN Resident Representative and the direct supervision of the Senior Economist, the Head of SDG integration advises Senior Management on inclusive growth policies, SDG integration, innovative, strategic partnership and provides evidence-based analysis to influence UNDP’s strategic orientation. S/He works with Government counterparts to identify development policy options and to enhance the policy impact of UNDP projects and programmes along with mobilizing partnership with private sector, regional entities etc. to support programmes and results delivery. The Head of SDG integration advocates for and represents UNDP in his/her area of expertise as requested by his/her supervisor.
S/He may supervise experts, international and national consultants and project staff. S/he maintains a network with colleagues from UNDP global and regional network, UN Agencies, IFIs, Government officials, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society.
Duties and Responsibilities
- SDG integration in Mali via supporting Next Generation Policy implementation and Programming
- Reinforcing UNDP delivery of the strategic plan and support to the 2030 agenda;
- Accelerate delivery of top quality programmatic results for SDGs: Business model performance and Business Innovation stream;
- Develop integrated policy and programmatic content;
- Deliver SDG integration services in supporting intersectoral policy exercise and support institutional capacity building for development planning and policy formulation at the national, sub-national and local levels;
- Support monitoring and reporting of progress related to SDGs and other national development frameworks;
- Support the identification and analysis of policy interventions that can impact multiple development goals and targets at the same time and the provision of policy options, particularly from pro-poor perspectives including the assessment of the country’s macro-economic policies and their impact on poverty reduction, growth, equity, etc
- Lead evidence-based analysis and support advocacy and dissemination of policy messaging;
- Support UNDP country office teams to better integrate the SDGs via reviewing their portfolios through a comprehensive economic lens that strengthen linkages and integrated results between UNDP’s work on social, economic and environmental outcome areas;
- Support UNDP's contribution towards leveraging financing for development and the SDGs in Mali, including in the process of localizing the SDGs at sub-national level, building on UNDP's ongoing programme (including circular economy, climate responsive and biodiversity financing);
- Coordinate and provide support on innovation strategy/action plan, including formulation, design, planning and implementation;
- Proactively scout for new innovative ideas and opportunities;
- Identify opportunities for resource mobilization and new partnerships and support proposal and partnership development efforts;
- Develop partnerships and network with local innovators, youth organizations, NGOs, the private sector, local media and academia to build and provide a space to nurture and test new and innovative ideas, and build local capacity;
- Coordinate and support development and testing of innovation products and processes to strengthen and improve efficiency and effectiveness of UNDP programming, monitoring and evaluation, advocacy and communication;
- Provide training for UNDP staff, partner staff, government counterparts and other end users in the country in the use of innovation products and processes;
- Support the operation of Accelerator Lab at UNDP Mali;
- Document tested innovation projects and processes and ensure effective sharing and generation of knowledge around innovations in the Country Office as well as with UNDP global innovation network;
Financing and resources mobilization
- Keep abreast of financing trends, horizon and partnership scanning, maintain relations with donors, private sector and foundations to reinforce programmatic collaboration and innovative financing opportunities.
- Support programmes teams and national counterpart mechanisms in resource mobilization efforts and strategies collaborating with them to foster innovative approaches to donor interactions, assisting and learning from them on how to exploit potentially new resource mobilization activities.
- Identify, establish and consolidate programmatic and policy partnership with private sector, IFIs, on programme innovations to acceleration SDG achievement in the country.
Support Innovation integration into programmes and knowledge management:
- Act as the Project Manager of Accelerator Lab Mali under the supervision of the RR and the DRR/P and promote private sector development;
- Produce publications on innovation based on the lessons learned of the Mali CO;
- Build a network of knowledge sharing inside UNDP Mali lessons learning;
- Promoting innovation through programmes;
- Deliver SDG integration services in supporting intersectoral policy exercise and support intuitional capacity building for development planning and policy formulation at the national, sub-national and local levels;
- Support monitoring and reporting of progress related to SDGs and other national development frameworks;
- Provide quality analysis and substantive inputs to CCA, UNSDCF, CPD, and other strategic documents;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned including regional and global SDG integration teams.
SDG Data and Analytics
- Lead UNDP’s substantive work on strengthening capacity of national counterparts on SDG planning and decision making based on strengthened SDG data management system, integrated processes specifically related to data collection templates and other reporting requirements.
- Support relevant stakeholders to on SDG reporting to include metadata for currency, accuracy, usefulness, quality and completeness and influence evidence based analysis to feed into policy and programme decision-making processes
- Collaborate with Accelerator Lab to collect and codify lesson learned and ensure advocacy and visibility;
- Generate relevant maps for data review and analysis as well as reporting; assist in data collection and information gathering to support ongoing and proposed research, policy/strategy development;
- Publish lesson learned on Mali data collection;
- Any other task as needed
- Takes responsibility for quality of own work;
- Uses resources, methods, partners, an information effectively;
- Identifies opportunities and challenges and recommends options;
- Analyzes complex technical materials (including data and makes concise, relevant
- Contributes reliable production of knowledge services and transaction;
- Adapts deliverables to meet client needs;
- Interprets policy within context and applies with judgment;
- Anticipates obstacles and applies practical solutions.
- Learns to relate constructive knowledge to others;
- Presents coherent analysis;
- Adds rigor and technical expertise to discussions;
- Represents self and work with appropriate professional standards;
- Eager to voice new ideas;
- Productive in challenging situations;
- Respects difference of opinion;
- Finds common ground to solve problems;
- Gains trust of peers, partners, clients;
- Presents complex, conceptual ideas in practical terms to others.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s degree in economics.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in relevant and progressive professional and managerial experience in development programme, innovation management, financial inclusion and private sector development.
- Experience and strong track record in multi-stakeholder partnership building and dealing with both public and private sectors, international or intergovernmental organizations;
- Extensive knowledge on social/inclusive business and inclusive markets;
- Experience with a proven track record in resource mobilization;
- Experience in provision of policy advocacy.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and French.