Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 50 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
Bring your science for something good!
PSI seeks a Health Area Research Advisor (HARA) for our HIV & TB Department to be based in Washington, DC. The HARA is a vital link between our HIV and TB Department, our projects on the ground, and PSI’s evidence team, helping to ensure that we’re building strong technical learning into everything we do. The HARA helps advance PSI and PSIers as thought leaders, through the development of rigorous research projects. S/he will serve as PSI’s HIV and TB research resource, with a focus both on contributions to the strategic evidence agenda for HIV and TB, as well assistance to PSI’s network members in the design, execution and dissemination of HIV- and TB-related studies.
PSI’s research centers around a few key areas:
- Consumer insight through market research to improve the design of interventions;
- Implementation science to better understand how to deliver existing interventions more effectively;
- Health economics to determine the true cost of interventions;
- Market analysis to understand the broader context of health issues and responses.
The Research Advisor need not be an expert in all these areas, but will bring deep knowledge of research within the HIV and TB fields to bear in collaborations across the organization. This a tremendous opportunity for a sharp, early-career researcher looking to shift from academia to a more hands-on, implementation-focused environment. PSI is fun, fast-paced, and rapidly changing. Our HIV/TB team is small but mighty and you will play a central role in demonstrating the value and impact of our life-saving work on the ground.
Support PSI’s network members to design, execute and promote research
- Provide strategic guidance to network members (PSI branches in the field) for research and program evaluation for interventions in areas like:
- HIV testing, particularly index and self-testing; voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC); pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV; TB case-finding; HIV and TB treatment.
- Evaluate effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of HIV and TB interventions. Methods can include non-experimental, quasi-experimental or experimental designs, leveraging implementation science frameworks and operational research approaches.
- Provide technical assistance, supervision and quality assurance in developing logical frameworks/theories of change, study designs, data analysis, and report writing for strategic research.
- Build capacity among researchers at the regional and country level, particularly for strategic research studies, including consumer-insights research, cost-effectiveness analyses, population size estimation for key populations, operations and implementation science research, program evaluation, and dissemination of research findings.
- Improve existing HIV and TB research tools and develop new ones as needed.
- Be a cheerleader and advocate for smart research across the PSI network.
- Help us expand partnerships and win new awards
- Collaborate with external institutions and researchers to meet and share research findings, policy implications and best practices.
- Seek funding for and implement operations and implementation science research.
- Support new business development by providing technical inputs related to research and evaluation sections on selected proposals.
- Collaborate across PSI to advance good research practice and thought leadership
- Document and disseminate research findings and translate research findings in to policies, best practices and minimum standards within PSI and externally:
- Develop concept papers, toolkits and training materials to increase PSI’s internal research capacity;
- Lead on the development and implementation of learning agendas, research utilization plans, and evidence synthesis activities to ensure the data PSI collects inform program improvement, policy influence, and future funding;
- Present at international conferences and meetings and coordinate conference abstracts to highlight PSI’s research at country, regional, and organizational-levels;
- Develop and disseminate research briefs and publish in peer-reviewed journals;
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
- PhD or equivalent experience in public health, epidemiology, population studies/demography, health economics, or a related field;
- 4+ years professional experience in the design, analysis, dissemination, and management of research pertaining to HIV and TB interventions in developing countries;
- Design and implementation of operations and implementation science research and population-based surveys;
- A substantial record of publication in peer-reviewed journals;
- Management of multiple research studies and capacity building of in-country research staff;
- Extensive knowledge of a statistical analysis program (SPSS, STATA or SAS); strong analysis skills;
- Ability to develop research training tools and materials for a variety of contexts, learning curves and needs;
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time internationally;
- Excellent written, verbal and inter-personal communication skills.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- Must be authorized to work in the US.
What would get us excited?
- Experience designing qualitative studies and analyzing qualitative data;
- Proficiency in French, Spanish or Portuguese;
- Experience designing research embedded within ongoing HIV or TB programming.
Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.