Médecins du Monde is an international medical development NGO that is part of an international network. We provide medical assistance to vulnerable groups, in Belgium and in the rest of the world.
We want universal health coverage where each person has access to care, without obstacles (financial, cultural, geographic, etc.).
In Belgium and around the world, our projects are aimed at all people who have no or no more access to healthcare. In particular, they are structured around five axes: people on the margins of society (homeless, undocumented people, drug users, sex workers, etc.); children in vulnerable situations; women (supported in their fight for equality or against sexual violence for example); migrants or displaced persons and victims of crises or conflicts.
To carry out our mission, we are based on three pillars:
- Treat : give real access to healthcare for populations.
- Support : more than helping, we want to change things in the long term.
- Testify : we do not remain silent. Thanks to our experience and our presence on the ground, we challenge the powers (local, regional and (inter) national) with facts, figures and realities.
Our projects follow a series of values common to our entire organization: Social justice, Empowerment, Independence, Commitment, Balance.
As an employee, you are in contact with the Chairman of the Board of Directors; under the supervision of the Managing Director; and you are part of the Management Committee. You manage the Health Department of Doctors of the World Belgium. You strengthen and develop the quality of health practices in order to implement the operational strategy of the organization in the implementation of quality projects.
As a Member of the Management Committee : you take part in strategic thinking around the activities of the organization.
Examples of tasks:
- Participate in weekly meetings of the Management Committee
- Manage the definition of a proposal to the Board of Health Practices Strategy
- Participate in the definition of the advocacy strategy
- Organize Project Committees when new health strategies are needed
- Participate in the meetings of the GA and the CA and report there regularly on its activities and those of its teams
- Represent the Organization in external bodies requiring health expertise
As a Health Director : you build internal and external health expertise (Sexual and Reproductive Health, Migration, Gender-based Violence, Risk Reduction, Crises, etc.), you define the quality standards for health practices and assess compliance in operations.
Research and development :
- Identify research priorities and include them in MDM's strategic plan
- Ensure active monitoring in terms of innovative practices (ie monitoring of specialized, international literature)
- Propose, develop and validate study protocols (ie analyzes of databases, surveys, etc.)
- Participate in university chairs, and in particular lead the ULB-MDM-BE Health-Precariousness Chair
- Actively collaborate in research programs (ie academics ...)
- Provide concrete elements and data for advocacy in favor of access to care and the fight against gender and social inequalities
- Participate in advocacy actions as needed
As Manager of the teams of the Health Department , at headquarters and in missions: you coordinate the work of the various employees.
Examples of tasks:
- Plan, organize, lead team meetings
- Set the objectives to be achieved by the direct collaborators, develop the individual action plans, distribute the activities and ensure their coordination
- Accompany, support, stimulate each employee in their progress with regular feedback, and increase their understanding of their strengths and weaknesses
- Identify and solve operational and technical problems encountered by the different team members
- Ensure, through coaching or training, the optimization of the level of health skills of the members of each department
- Master in Public Health and/or Master in Medicine.
- Mastery of the project cycle and project management experience of at least 8 years in the health field, with at least 4 years in a leadership position (team and / or project). Responsibilities in medical quality in a project and / or an organization is an asset.
- Experiences both at international level (Maghreb, Sahel, Grand Lac) and at national level (Belgium)
- IT: mastery of the Office package and experience in the management of computerized medical databases
- Languages: fluency in both national languages (Dutch and French) and oral and written English