Health Logistics Officer
World Health Organization, Cox's Baazar, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- During deployment, the duty station may change, and duties may be modified, based upon the technical needs of the Programme.
- Assess health logistics inventory and needs, focusing on health facilities, laboratory facilities, mobile medical activities, patients' transportation, outbreak response (IPCs, deployment of medical products, etc.) and WASH activities required to support the health emergency response.
- Support the WHE team lead and WHO partners within the logistics cluster in the development of health logistics response plan, priority activities, and list of required means to adequately address the WHO and partner health operation needs.
- Provide technical guidance to the MOH logistics team on the appropriate functioning of the health facilities, mobile medical activities such as vaccination campaigns, laboratory support and other emergency health related activities.
- Facilitate the set up and the overall management of emergency health facilities through the rehabilitation of existing facilities or the deployment of emergency units using the capacity of the WHO/OSL partners or subcontracted actors.
- Ensure that the health facilities as well as mobile health activities have sustainable access to clean water, energy source, waste management facilities and adequate supply in compliance with WHO health standards.
- Oversee the efficient and safe transportation of laboratory samples to provide WHO and partners with best appropriated sample results lead time.
- Provide quality assurance to the set up and sustainable access to adequate, efficient and safe cold chain facilities for a reliable supply of medical items requiring temperature control environment.
- Monitor, evaluate and report country progress on health logistics activities within the health facilities and for other health activities in the context of the incident management system.
- Develop and conduct required training for MOH staff and WHO partners to build up local competences and ease the implementation of efficient health logistics management for all health activities.
- Draft the required evaluation or situation reports to ensure appropriate communication and reporting mechanisms with the onsite OSL lead, incident manager, all concerned technical experts and OSL regional and HQ entities.
- Perform any other related incident-specific duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
- Submit an end of assignment report (mandatory).
- Essential: University degree in health, sciences, fields related to disaster management.
- Essential: At least five years of relevant experience, at the national and international levels, in the design and implementation of health logistics assessment and/or the design and management of related projects in emergency situations. Experience in developing and promoting collaborative actions with national authorities.
- Desirable: Some experience or a sound knowledge of WHO's mandate and goals or in UN organizations/ agencies, international institutions, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or nongovernmental organizations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of emergency response activities in the field of health logistics management with proven ability to identify and solve technical problems in difficult circumstances.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with proven ability to elaborate and implement projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Proven ability to promote cohesive action and convince officials with tact and diplomacy.
- Knowledge of WHO, the UN System or NGO work in the field of response relief and/or of their practices and procedures as related to the work.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
Use of Language Skills:Essential: Expert knowledge of English.