If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
For every child, health
Purpose of the Position:
The Health Officer reports to the Health Specialist for close guidance and supervision. Incumbents at this level are not expected to remain for an extended period of time in the post.
The Officer provides professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process through the application of theoretical and technical skills in researching, collecting, analyzing and presenting technical program information while learning organizational rules, regulations and procedures to support the development and formulation of the Health Program within the Country Program.
To make a differenceyou will be accountablefor the following key duties & tasks
Support to program development and planning
- Research and analyze regional/national political, social and economic development trends. Collect, analyze, verify and synthesize information to facilitate program development, design and preparation.
- Prepare technical reports and inputs for program preparation and documentation ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevancy of information.
- Facilitate the development/establishment of sectoral program goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through analysis of health needs and areas for intervention and submission of assessments for priority and goal setting.
- Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical program transactions, preparing materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the program review and approval process.
- Provide support to build into the need for strong social policy, evidence and data generation for high level strategic leveraging for Punjab province.
Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to collect/analyze/share information on implementation issues, suggest solutions on routine program implementation and submit report to alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare minutes/reports on results for follow up action by higher management and other stakeholders.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare inputs for sectoral program/donor reporting.
Technical and operational support to program implementation
- Undertake field visits and surveys and/or collect/share information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understandingof UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on health and related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with health sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to enhance program implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to deliver concrete and sustainable results.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for health programs.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) on health programs to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of health programs/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Assist with oversight of research and ensure results are available for use in knowledge products.
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have
Education: A University Degree in public health/nutrition, pediatric health, family health, health research, global/international health, health policy and/or management, environmental health sciences, biostatistics, socio-medical, health education, epidemiology or other health related sciences is required.
Experience: At least one year of professional experience in public health/nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal and neonatal health care, and health emergency/humanitarian preparedness. Experience of health economics/ social development to build into the evidence and data generation for strategic leveraging of resources for Punjab province would be considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
- This is a re-advertisement of this post; those who responded to earlier advertisementdo not need to re-apply.
For every child, you demonstrate
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (I)
- Drive for results (I)
- Formulating strategies and concepts (I)
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying technical expertise ((II)
- Learning and researching (II)
- Planning and organizing (II).