Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative, the Programme Specialist is responsible for management of UNDP programme within the health area. The Programme Specialist analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within health-related portfolio, provides policy advice services.
The Programme Specialist supervises and leads programme support staff, coordinates activities of the projects’ staff. The Programme Specialist works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of programme strategies
- Management of the CO programme
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of top-quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the health related programmes.Support and contribute to the preparation, design and updating of the situation analysis for the sector(s) to establish a strategic plan for development, design and management of health related programmes. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance programme management, efficiency and delivery.
- CO business processes mapping and preparation of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management.
Ensures effective management of the CO programme within the health area focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, entering project into Atlas ( in small offices), finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Programme Analyst performs functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NEX projects.
- Evaluation of the programme impact. Monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustments in portfolio
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the area of health based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with health sector government counterparts, national stakeholders, as well as global partners and donors. Through active networking, advocacy and effective communication, build capacity and exchange knowledge and expertise to facilitate the achievement of programme goals in the area of health.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
Ensures provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Ppreparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
- Building Strategic Partnerships
Levle 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Prince2 training and certification, RMG
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in public health, global/international health, health policy and/or management, environmental health sciences, biostatistics, socio-medical, health education, epidemiology, or another relevant technical field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, preferably related to health. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English, Russian languages; knowledge of Turkmen language is considered as a strong asset.