BACKGROUND INFORMATION - JOB-SPECIFIC
The Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) Management unit falls under the UNOPS Shared Services Centre (SSC) Group. It is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of HSSE good practices in UNOPS projects and operations in line with UNOPS policies, UN common system standards and international best practices.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting a variety of tasks, work packages and projects with the Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) management team as a part of their internship period. We are seeking qualified applicants who may have Environmental Management, Occupational Health and Safety, Social Development Studies, Sustainability, Engineering or a related subject as background. The intern will join a dynamic, international environment, and will have access to a variety of training and learning opportunities available in UNOPS HQ.
The internship is expected to start in January 2021 for a duration of 6 months (with a possibility of extension, subject to satisfactory performance and available funds).
Duties and responsibilities may comprise, but not limited to, the following:
HSSE team support:
- Support a variety of tasks, work packages and projects as outlined and assigned in the annual work plan for the Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) management team
- Research and information/data collection
- Research global trends and activities in HSSE
- Support compilation of best practices in HSSE from within and outside UNOPS
Communication and reporting:
- Contribute to maintenance and updating of the HSSE intranet site
- Assist with monitoring and reporting of HSSE performance
- Assist during audit preparation
Coordination of global HSSE operations:
- Maintenance, update and support of all relevant guidance and documentation
- Support compilation of best practices in HSSE
- Assist with HSSE training support and preparation of workshops
- Assist in the development and delivery of HSSE training
- Any other duties in support of the Shared Services Center
- To be eligible for this particular internship with UNOPS, the candidate must have graduated with a relevant University degree in the past three years or be studying towards a university degree in Environmental Management, Occupational Health and Safety, Social Development Studies, Sustainability, Engineering or other relevant discipline.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of French and/or Spanish would be considered an asset
- While no prior work experience is required, some experience in project management and HSSE is an asset.
- Advanced competency in Google Suite or similar (particularly with G-Sheet or other spreadsheets) is required
- A health & safety and/or environmental/social management professional certification is an asset