Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) Terwilliger Center for Innovation in Shelter is currently seeking an entrepreneurial individual for the role of Manager, Market Systems. He/she will lead the India program efforts to support low income families achieve resilient, durable shelter.
This will be carried out using market-based approaches, including partnering with companies and assisting them in making durable, resilient housing more accessible for the low income segment. Additionally, this position will explore the policy environment of low income housing to make changes in access for low income families. Working in a dynamic environment, this position will devise the strategy and implement the housing market systems program thorughout Tamil Nadu with a plan to expand throughout India. This position is based in Chennai, India.
Program Strategy, Design & Implementation
- Lead the design and management of a portfolio of shelter innovation pilot projects in India.
- Identify the opportunities, challenges and gaps within the affordable housing sector by conducting research including housing profile studies, customer research and housing value chain studies of the following:
- Private sector housing companies.
- Supporting services to the housing market.
- Public sector organizations, including the regulatory and policy framework that affects the affordable housing market.
- Seek out and pursue new business opportunities to intervene in various components of the low income housing market.
- Facilitate market-based solutions for affordable housing by working with market actors and other key stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain a network of consultants and subject matter experts in housing, finance, partnerships and private sector development. Build partnerships with like-minded organizations with complementary skills and interests.
- Prepare project proposals, including establishing project teams and partnerships.
- Lead the evaluation of the program.
- Oversee the budget and reporting for the project.
- Ably lead the market systems team, build capacity and identify resource needs and strategies as the program evolves.
- Oversee the implementation of ShelterTech Accelerator through an implementing partner.
- Translate project insights into case studies, briefs to share to internal and external audiences.
- Engage and collaborate with Habitat for Humanity’s global market systems team through webinars, peer-to-peer networking events, learning forums, e-discussions and delivery of case studies.
- Identify opportunities to present Habitat for Humanity’s work at conferences and industry events.
- University degree in economics, business administration, international development or a related field. Master degree/MBA preferred.
- Minimum 7 years professional experience coming from affordable housing sector, market systems, value chain or an experienced entrepreneur in related sectors with good business acumen.
Demonstrated experience and knowledge of one of the following:
- Affordable housing sector in India. Professional experience working in the housing sector is a plus.
- Market systems programming and value chain analysis
- Monitoring and evaluation experience, experience bringing data into projects and using it to drive decision making. DCED knowledge and experience a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, outstanding written and verbal English communication skills – in particular the ability to write clearly, succinctly and engagingly.
Successful candidates will be:
- Quality and results oriented. Demonstrate attention to detail, highly organized and able to coordinate multiple activities simultaneously.
- Entrepreneurial. Works well in dynamic environments with limited resources.
- Persuasive. Demonstrates ability to influence others by understanding and relating to their needs and interests.
- Agile. Prioritizes tasks and redirects work effort in response to new opportunities and changes in priorities.
- Strategic thinker. Analyzes situations, considers options, and develops strategic alternatives.
- Collaborative. Works well in teams, especially in diverse and multi-cultural contexts.
- Must speak Tamil.