The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
WFP’s greatest strength is its dedicated people working tirelessly around the world to reduce hunger, often under difficult conditions where security threats and risks to personal safety are considerable. The global context in which WFP operates is rapidly changing which means the need for effective people management is becoming important than ever before. To achieve this, we need outstanding HR professionals to get involved and contribute to drive our people agenda.
ABOUT THE JOB
- The HR Division's Contracts branch (HRMOC) is committed to providing effective assistance to the people we serve, by ensuring that WFP's engaged and skilled workforce is timely deployed where it is needed the most.
- A key Business Partner, the branch supports Regional Bureaux, Country Offices and Liaison offices based in 79 countries around the globe as well as Rome Headquarters Divisions.
- We are looking for a highly qualified HR Office to lead the Contracts Team in delievering client-focused HR Services.
- This role will be working closely with Senior HR Management, leading and managing a dynamic unit involved in delivering Global hiring and support servicing of International Professional Short term population, which includes contracts and payroll management. Other critical elements of the role will be to lead the implementation of new processes, monitor impact or propose alternative solutions, and partnering with global customers and handling issues often of a sensitive nature.
- This role is based in Rome WFP Headquarters and reports to the Chief, HR Operations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Lead ans manage a dynamic unit dedicated to delivering global hiring and support servicing of International Proseffional Short Term population, including contracts and payroll management, while working closely with Senior HR Management.
- Lead innovation and implementation of new processes, monitoring impact and proposing alternative solutions.
- Partner with global customers and handling issues often of sensitive nature.
- Participate in the design of functional plans and processes, and lead the planning and implementation of HR operational activities or projects to meet local objectives and support WFP strategic goals.
- Partner effectively with senior managers to understand their priorities, and provide advice and solutions on all aspects of human resources, as well as on strategic and policy issues.
- Lead the effective management of the employment relationship between WFP and its staff, determining conditions of service, contracts and appropriate entitlements.
- Contribute to the onboarding process of new employees, to ensure new staff have a positive experience of WFP, and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organization.
- Lead and motivate a team of HR staff, monitoring performance, providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Oversee compliant data integrity; consolidate and analyse data, identifying trends/potential issues, presenting recommendations and influencing managers to tackle complex problems.
- Maintain and share knowledge of external industry developments, and where appropriate amend/design new HR policies, procedures and systems in order to drive a culture of improvement and support WFP effectively.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education: Advanced university degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Industrial Psychology or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
Experience: Typically eight years or more (of which three international) of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in Human Resources with an interest in international humanitarian development. Significant experience of managing large teams of staff with somewhat varied areas of expertise.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Sound knowledge and understanding of HR concepts and principles with a broad knowledge of best practices, techniques and processes and specialised knowledge in a specific area.
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate a large team.
- Good communication skills with the ability to persuade, influence, negotiate with the wide range of key stakeholders and adapt communication style to different situations.
- Knowledge of common business principles and processes and the ability to quickly assimilate UN/WFP specific processes and systems.
- Business acumen and commercial understanding.
- Project management skills.
- Strong initiative-taker and demonstrated ability to take independent decisions.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to design develop, manage and implement HR policies, procedures and new programmes.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.