BACKGROUND INFORMATION - PAKISTAN
UNOPS Pakistan office is part of the Bangladesh Operational Hub in the Asia Region. With a steady growth of the project portfolio in the recent years and a new strategic direction,
UNOPS has been supporting projects in Pakistan for more than 15 years and in 2010 opened a new office in Islamabad to support the post-flood relief and recovery effort.
UNOPS in Pakistan implements projects in the following thematic areas:
- Early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure
- Project management and related monitoring and verification Community development
- Gender justice and women's empowerment
- HR services to partner organizations
Under the direct supervision of the WHO HR Services Project Manager and the overall direction of the Head of Support Services as well as the technical guidance of IPAS HR, the HR Senior Assistant is responsible for providing technical and administrative support to the timely processing, recording, completion, monitoring, and maintaining of transactions and processes covering the array of Human Resources Management service lines in accordance with UNOPS’ HR rules, regulations and policies for optimal employee and talent management. S/he may serve as the first contact for internal and external clients in resolving questions on routine and standard processes and procedures and provision of guidance and information related to HR initiatives and services to a wide range of UNOPS clients.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Support to policy development and implementation
- Contribute to HR policy development and corporate HR initiatives by assisting to collect data on trends, risks and opportunities and sharing local HR best practices.
- Assist with projects in support of HR initiatives for attainment of business objectives in line with the corporate HR strategy.
- Provide advice and guidance to personnel on administrative procedures, processes and practices for delivery of HR services.
- Act as liaison between unit and internal and external clients and provides proactive customer service to expedite completion of projects, and provide information.
- Ensures implementation of HR strategies and procedures for partner managed personnel (PMP) for contract management, benefits administration and travel related matters
- As an interlocutor of HR, ensure that new hires' first impressions are positive and that they have all in-processing information completed.
- Advise hiring management and guide personnel on routine elements of UNOPS recruitment and performance management processes, and learning and development initiatives, resources, and plans.
Talent Acquisition and Administration
- Support the completion of recruitment processes including offers and rejections, and updating recruitment on-line information systems in line with UNOPS policy.
- Undertakes reference checking, elements of longlisting, and organization of testing and interviews; fee calculation, minutes of general-service recruitments,
- Finalizes selection and other process approvals.
- Inform and advise UNOPS personnel, consultants, partners and project personnel on routine aspects and elements of their conditions of service and entitlements according to their contract modality, expediting actions to facilitate their efficient, timely, and client-focused onboarding.
- Research precedents and present recommendations to the supervisor, taking into account institutionalized exceptions. Undertake research on a range of HR related issues and assist in the preparation of notes/reports.
- Maintain monitoring systems, advising the supervisor on the status of pending requests and approaching deadlines.
- Answer questions and follow-up with personnel and management to ensure completion of absences requests, performance management cycle, and other HR processes etc. in electronic information systems.
- Liaise with relevant HQ and UN system units to exchange information and follow up on pending issues.
- Set up and maintain reference files/records.
- Register details as appropriate in the One UNOPS-ERP System (OU) and in the Staffing Table
- Assist in compiling data for reports related to, staffing tables, , payroll reports, salary reviews and others, as required
- Process monthly payroll through the online Pay System and manually process related entitlements such as certification of payment, R&R, danger pay and DSA
- Assist in processing travel claims, overtime as needed
- Perform accurate calculations and verification of necessary documents for claims (travel & over time) processing within the turnaround time after receipt from region.
- Maintain accurate record of all received claims as per prescribed format and financial requirement.
- Follow up or process payroll verification.
- Facilitate and monitor insurance claims for reimbursements
- Monitor status of HR actions to facilitate timely action by supervisor and line management, including on transactions initiated, expiring appointments/contracts, and pending separation actions.
- Manage record maintenance; including personnel file systems as well as provision of related statistical summaries and tracking movements of UNOPS personnel within the relevant business unit/s
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide support to the organization, facilitation and/or delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on HR-related topics.
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- Completion of Secondary education is required.
- First University Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable.
- Knowledge of UN policies, procedures and practices highly desirable
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in an international and/or national organization in providing HR advisory, recruitment, and/or HR-generalist services.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable
- Proficiency in computers and office software packages (MS Office) and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
- Experience in use of HR information systems, Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable.
- Full knowledge of the working language is essential (English).
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.