Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS), Ghana Operational Hub based in Accra –Ghana with Country Offices in Gambia, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone with compelling solid reputation across the globe in delivery of its core mandates in the areas of Project Management, Infrastructure and Procurement.
What drives us is a passion to fight inequalities and to provide opportunities to those most vulnerable. This means we often work in the most challenging environments, building foundations for communities to function and people to live with dignity and respect.
To succeed here, he/she need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well as working with the different units to meet their expectations.
We are therefore, looking for intellectually curious talented qualified Ghanaians with solid Human Resources Management acumen, excellent communication skills with stakeholder focus to join the formidable team. Things happen quickly at UNOPS-Ghana Operational Hub and the work culture encourages you to be an enthusiastic team player - a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn't frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things within UNOPS.
This position will be provided with a multi- the Country Offices responsibilities within the hub and will be travelling 1/3 or more of the time.
Based in the support services structure, reporting directly to the Head of Support Services and collaborating closely with IPAS HR, the HR Specialist ensures consistent application of appropriate policies, rules, guidelines, procedures and practices in service provision in a given geography.
HR Specialist supports the business unit in the management, implementation and oversight of HR service lines and initiatives to meet client needs, i.e. including recruitment, contract administration, interpretation and guidance, learning and personnel re-alignment exercises in consultation with HQ. Specifically, s/he is the primary HR focal point within a given geography.
- Summary of Key Functions
- Support to policy development and implementation
- Advisory Services
- Talent Acquisition and Administration
- Team Management
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
Support to Policy development and implementation
- Contribute to HR policy development and corporate HR initiatives by providing data on trends, risks and opportunities and sharing local HR best practices.
- Maintain an effective level of business literacy about the office/program/unit's objectives and plans, and in consultation with Management, take the lead on the implementation of the corporate HR strategy and initiatives.
- Design and lead projects in support of HR initiatives for attainment of business objectives in line with the corporate HR strategy.
- Partner with leadership to develop and implement workforce planning initiatives employing HR business processes mapping, to ensure efficient and effective services and work flows. Monitor workforce status and trends.
- Communicate HR policy changes and new HR initiatives to management and personnel, providing guidance as needed.
- Provide guidance on HR policy application for personnel management, assessing and anticipating HR needs to provide value-added consultative service to management on human resource-related issues.
- Define, develop, model and deliver HR services, programs, and communications to add value for prospective and current personnel, and UNOPS partners.
- Under the guidance of IPAS HR, advise, assist and mediate, as needed, on sensitive matters including grievances, potential violations in code of conduct, harassment, abuse, workplace disputes, performance improvement plans, complex employee relations matters, etc.
- Encourage line management responsibility for implementation of HR policies and effective team management, providing guidance and coaching as needed. Foster the relationship between supervisors and personnel, encouraging dialogue and two-way constructive feedback.
- In collaboration with management as appropriate, encourage continuous improvement and professional growth by advising on, planning, and tracking learning and development activities.
- Collaborate with leadership to support institutional gender and diversity initiatives, providing education and advice on issues related to equity, compliance, inclusion, and diversity
Talent Acquisition and Administration
- Oversee the application and implementation of talent acquisition and management policies and processes covering Recruitment, Onboarding, Position Management, Performance Management, Learning and Development, Change Management, Job Classification, Salary and benefits administration, Contract Administration, Succession Planning and Out-processing.
- Under the guidance of IPAS HR, coordinate the efficient administration of contractual modalities, loans, exchanges, and secondments in the given geography, including oversight of engagement with relevant partners.
- In collaboration with IPAS HR, coordinate personnel realignment exercises, including job fairs, to ensure timely competency elaboration, sourcing, selection, placement of required talent and transitions as well as due process.
- Identify key talent areas and provide coherent, well-developed plans for obtaining, developing, and managing critical talent. Develop, utilize recruitment plans, tools and contribute to policy guidance to efficiently and effectively recruit and retain a diverse workforce to meet the needs of the business objectives.
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective recruitment, work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on HR-related topics.
- Lead, approve and conduct initiatives on capacity development and knowledge building for HR personnel, including network development, plans, learning plans and activities, HR practice information and best practice benchmarking.
- Oversee team’s contributions to HR knowledge networks and communities of practice including collaborative synthesis of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources management.
- Guide team’s collection of feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- Guide the development and maintenance of HR analytic parameters and data.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Human Resources Specialist directly affects the capacities and performance of the HR teams in their management, and implementation of Human Resources service lines and initiatives for the given geography. These affect client satisfaction as well as the readiness and capabilities of the human capital, to effectively develop and implement the programmes and projects of UNOPS. This promotes the credibility of the organization as an effective service provider in project services and management.
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Social or Behavioural Science or relevant discipline /field is required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in related n additional two (2) years of relevant work experience will be considered in lieu of the Advance Degree.
Certification: Human Resource Management certification will be an added advantage.
Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of professional-level human resources experience, including HR advisory services, in a major area(s) of human resources management:
- HR Contract Administration,
- HR Reporting,
- Recruitment or
- Organizational Design in an international, public or corporate organization at the national and/or international level is required.
- Relevant experience in a multicultural setting is desirable.
- Some experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is desirable.
- At least two (2) years of experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office) as well as web-based management systems is required.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Working knowledge of another, official UN languages is desirable.