NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC’s Eastern Africa and Yemen operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across nine countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Role Specific Information:
The HR Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of HR and Admin matters in the area office.
The HR Coordinator will undertake variety of HR and administrative duties, will facilitate daily HR functions like management of HR staff, keeping staff records, supporting the interview processes and dealing with grievances and disciplinary cases among others.
- Implement NRC’s HR systems and procedures at area level
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies and the national labor law in all processes and procedures
- Coordinate staff recruitment and exits, introductions, trainings, staff benefits schemes etc.
- Train and develop HR team at area level
- Coordinate with relevant partners, suppliers, authorities, lawyers etc.
- Prepare and submit periodic reports as appropriate
- Train and support line managers in HR processes
- Advice in personnel conflicts/processes when relevant
- Ensure that staff records in all offices in the area are up to date and filed appropriately
- Ensure accuracy of staff salaries at Area level and/or prepare staff salaries
- Develop annual HR plans i.e. recruitment, capacity building (training plans) and leave plans in collaboration with Heads of Departments and ensure their implementation.
- Coordinate staff recruitment, staff development and performance management in liaison with line managers and in adherence to NRC policies and regulations.
- Provide advice and guidance on all aspects of the Human Resources and Admin function relating to recruitment, induction, performance management and staff development matters and associated terms and conditions to NRC management and staff.
- Update staff on HR policies, processes and procedures.
- Effectively implement new staff orientation and induction training programmes
- Coordinate clearance of staff separating from the organization including exit interviews and final dues payments
- Manage staff benefits schemes like medical, insurance, accident insurance where applicable
- Responsible for investigating and responding to problems, inquiries and complaints from staff in a professional manner, based on the NRC Code of Conduct and Terms of Employment for national staff. In consultation with Area Manager address staff grievances and disciplinary measures.
- To maintain good staff relationships and morale among staff through effective feedback, recognition, performance management and development
- Ensure HR audit findings and recommendations are implemented
- Contribute and participate in the process of design and development of new HR systems and processes in the area and country office.
- Any other tasks assigned by line manager
Our Ideal Candidate:
- We are looking for a university graduate in Business Administration, Human Resource Management or related field, with a minimum of 4 years previous experience in humanitarian field and has technical expertise relevant to the role.
- Experience working as senior HR/Admin in complex and volatile contexts, in particular in Somalia. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.