The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The HR Assistant is expected to provide support to the HR Unit in the following activities:
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Ensure personnel files are complete and accurate assuring adherence to highest level of confidentiality.
- Oversee leave management; maintain leave tracking; ensuring complete documentation for all staff movement in the Field Office and Head Office.
- Follows up on the submission of accurate timesheets from all staff in DRC and ensures accuracy of basic personnel data before payment is effected;
- Ensures that all staff are insured when they first join the organization, sends the updates of any changes that affect our insurance policy like salary increment, resignation, the dependents update, etc;
- Handles all insurance related issues of staff in a very organized and professional manner;
- Keeps records of different leave requests centrally in Addis Ababa, provides this information to the staff, the management and to any other concerned stakeholders upon request;
- Assist in the recruitment processes by contacting the selected candidates for interview and written exam, facilitate and handle the written exams in Addis and different FOs.
- Make sure that all newly hired staff have got DRC ID; follow up the contract renewal of ID Printing Service Providers, manage the contract.
- Make sure that all staff in DRC Addis and FOs have been registered in the government pension scheme and keep the record in the personal file.
- Provide professional advice to project managers on a range of HR issues.
- Assist in the compilation of HR related reports as required.
- Any other assignments as instructed by the immediate supervisor
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 2 years of Experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain working relationships across the organisation.
- Excellent knowledge of legal employment obligations in line with national labour law.
- Excellent computer skills and experience working with databases
EDUCATION: Relevant qualifications in Human Resources or Business Administration.
LANGUAGE: Good standard of written and spoken English