Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi,
Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer, in close coordination with the Resource Management Officer and overall guidance of the Chief of Mission in Kabul, Afghanistan, and in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs), Administrative Centers (MAC and PAC) and the IOM Regional Office (ROAP) in Bangkok, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for coordinating the Human Resource functions of the Mission and its sub-offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Review and monitor the Human Resources Management function in the mission in accordance with the Organization’s policies, procedures and practices and in light of project activities in the region.
- Supervise the maintenance of personnel files and attendance records of international and national staff and sub-contracted personnel in the mission.
- Facilitate the maintenance and the upkeep of the mission’s HR/Training plans, and in conjunction with Security Unit, ensure staff abidance of all mandatory/recommended security briefings and trainings.
- Provide support in filling the appropriate staff vacancy needs, ensuring the relevant recruitment procedures are effectively and swiftly applied and that new staff are sufficiently briefed and able to assume their functions.
- Evaluate the mission’s staff training and development needs and suggest possible improvement areas in collaboration with HRM/Staff Development and Learning (SDL). Ensure timely and regular implementation of the Mission’s Staff Evaluation System (SES) in line with the organizations deadlines.
- Provide verbal and written explanations to Project Managers on staffing, recruitment and other personnel issues, including leave entitlements and planning.
- Assist with the recruitment and administration of sub-contracted personnel and determining the applicability of entitlements. Maintain an effective working relationship with the Personnel Service Provider and monitor the quality of its services.
- Assist the SRMO in maintaining appropriate internal controls and effective administrative procedures to apply IOM’s Human Resources policies, rules and regulations.
- Coordinate with ROAP, HQ and MAC on issues related to the benefits and entitlements to International staff in the field. Supervise the administration and timely renewal of visas of all International staff and in coordination with Security Unit, of staff security clearances and TRIPs.
- Supervise the preparation of the monthly payroll for national staff and sub-contracted personnel and ensure its accuracy and timeliness.
- Discuss audit recommendations on HR matters and in the coordination with SRMO implement them upon instruction within the HR function.
- Assist the SRMO in preparation of administrative reports as well as reports pertaining to personnel administration of international and national staff.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in administration and human resources management:
- Familiarity with UN Common System or similar;
- Knowledge of staff rules and regulations, staff entitlements and benefits, recruitment and selection practices and training programmes;
- Working experience in the Middle East, Africa and/or developing countries and added advantage.
Languages: Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Dari and/or Pashtu is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.