J-PAL North America (J-PAL NA) is actively recruiting a talented, experienced Human Resources Administrator & Recruiter based at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, MA. Working at J-PAL NA means being part of a vibrant, collaborative team of professionals who are committed to translating research into innovative policy solutions that are effective in reducing poverty. As a regional office of the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), J-PAL NA is part of an affiliate network of over 170 affiliated professors at universities around the world, including some of the world’s leading economics researchers. J-PAL NA works closely with J-PAL’s global headquarters and five additional independent regional offices in Africa, Europe, Latin America, South Asia, and Southeast Asia to generate cutting-edge research, policy outreach, and training.
The Human Resources Administrator & Recruiter reports directly to the Associate Director of Finance & Operations and enthusiastically leads and administers human resources activities with a significant portion of time and effort spent providing strategic leadership and support to hiring managers in attracting and retaining diverse top talent for J-PAL NA. As part of the Finance and Operations team, the Human Resources Administrator & Recruiter advances J-PAL NA’s mission by ensuring that J-PAL NA is run with maximum efficiency and its human resources systems are tightly managed and operating in a way that fosters a culture that reflects J-PAL NA’s values and advances its diversity, equity and inclusion goals. The Human Resources Administrator & Recruiter works with hiring managers to develop staffing plans, implements and maintains strategies to support community outreach, leads efforts to identify qualified, diverse candidates, build relationships with candidates, supports the hiring process and manages the development and implementation of onboarding, performance management, rewards and recognition and diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives to fully support talent acquisition, development and retention.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
Recruitment & Onboarding (60%)
- Leads and manages talent acquisition by working with hiring managers on staffing plans and serving as the lead project manager for J-PAL NA’s recruitment efforts.
- Advises hiring managers on recruiting practices, guidelines, and/or policies and maintains updated hiring process manual.
- Partners with hiring managers to develop and implement diversity outreach and recruitment strategies. Develops search plans, posts jobs, and conducts candidate outreach on appropriate external recruiting sites.
- Works with hiring committees to prepare interview questions and screening matrices, screens resumes, develops interview schedules and coordinates interviews.
- Tracks open positions in the applicant tracking system.
- Processes recruiting transactions such as open requisitions, interviews, and offers in applicant tracking system.
- Works with hiring committee to evaluate candidates and prepares offer documentation.
- Partners with MIT’s Central HR, external recruiters and temporary agencies regarding hires.
- Ensures compliance with applicable guidelines and/or regulations.
- Provides recruiting-related training to hiring managers and committees.
- Coordinates with J-PAL Global to plan and manage annual college recruitment drive.
- Manages recruitment and placement of interns and co-ops.
- Travels as needed to represent J-PAL NA at career fairs and conferences to recruit talent.
- Plans and manages employee on-boarding and maintains updated employee onboarding materials and guides.
- Manages office space planning and ensures new employees have adequate space and equipment.
- Assigns new employees to a mentor and manages mentorship programs.
Human Resources Administration (25%):
- Processes and/or approves HR transactions such as hires, transfers, leaves of absence, and salary changes.
- Manages employee off-boarding, conducts exit interviews for terminating employees, and shares trend information with management.
- Works with management to identify and plan training and development opportunities in support of broader talent management strategy.
- Provides guidance to managers on professional development planning and coordinates the performance management process.
- Designs and/or administers rewards and recognition activities.
- Compiles data and synthesizes findings (i.e, Outside Professional Activities, DEI, turnover, etc.). Identifies trends and issues; reports findings to leadership.
- Partners with the Associate Director of Finance & Operations and MIT Compensation on salary benchmarking and analysis. Makes recommendations to ensure equity.
- Collaborates with the Associate Director of Finance & Operations and the senior leadership team on the development and updating of HR policies, procedures, and activities.
- Participates in HR strategic planning.
- Ensures HR activities, records, and forms are in compliance with applicable laws or guidelines.
- Manages special projects as assigned.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Initiative Management (15%):
- Promotes a diverse and inclusive workforce and serves as project manager and champion for the development and implementation of J-PAL North America’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Initiative.
- Leads J-PAL North America’s DEI Committee, including planning and facilitating meetings of the group and presentations to senior leadership and staff.
- Contributes to strategic thinking on ways to improve J-PAL North America policies and procedures in support of DEI goals.
- Administers annual staff DEI survey and reports findings to senior leadership and staff.
- Plans diversity, equity and inclusion training and programs.
- Develops and manages strategic relationships with organizations that provide a pipeline for diverse talent.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience: A minimum of 3 years of experience working in human resources administration and recruitment. Knowledge of relevant state and federal employment laws preferred.
- Communication: Strong writing skills and the ability to communicate clearly with staff at all levels in a friendly and professional manner required. Experience working with a variety of personalities and work styles strongly preferred. Must be approachable, have a can-do attitude, and be comfortable leading hiring committees through the recruitment process.
- Organization: Must be highly organized with strong project management skills and attention to detail. Ability to anticipate, plan, prioritize and meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, manage numerous requests from various parties, and effectively manage a high volume of work. Ability to think strategically about J-PAL NA’s HR needs.
- Responsibility and Trust: This position requires a highly motivated individual who is capable of dealing with confidential information and staff at all levels with diplomacy and integrity. Attitude: Self-motivated, ability to take initiative to implement or improve established processes.