The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and displaced people across the world: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights and strengthen their chances for a better future. We work in areas affected by conflict, along displacement routes and in countries where refugees are settling. In cooperation with local communities, we strive to find responsible and sustainable solutions. We are working towards a successful integration and - as far as possible - the fulfillment of the wish to return.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown into an international humanitarian organization with over 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in around 40 countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational assistance organization.
Our vision is a life of dignity for all displaced people; All our efforts are directly based on our fundamental values: humanity, respect, independence, neutrality, participation, honesty and transparency.
In CAR, DRC operates in 3 prefectures: Ouham, Ouham-Pende, and Ombella-M'Poko. Its programmatic strategy is focused on 3 sectors: protection and social cohesion, economic recovery and livelihoods, and emergency responses to immediate needs linked to the displacement of populations.
Description of the role in the country:
- This role is country-centered and ensures compliance with DRC procedures and guidelines in the country. This role contributes to strategy development, which translates into action plans and daily tasks. This role consists of providing technical support and / or advice to operations.
General purpose of the role:
Lead and manage the HR and Administration team
- Provide overall guidance, coordination and management to the human resources and coordination administration team as well as technical support to the bases
- Ensure effective program support in accordance with current DRC policies and procedures
- Lead and manage the human resources team (including human resource planning, wellness and development).
- Provide technical support, advice and capacity building of the human resources team.
- Advise and assist managers on human resources issues and concerns.
Staff recruitment, development and planning
- Pilot and support recruitment and selection activities by ensuring that the recruitment process is respected.
- Collaborate with the management team in the development of new employee retention strategies and initiatives.
- Ensure that the onboarding process is adequate
- Ensure the supervision and uniformity of the function grid
- Support staff development activities including promotion of the DRC learning catalog
- Develop / maintain local processes for staff development using DRC's learning catalog
- Help managers identify, recommend and approve learning and development initiatives for their employees through the DRC Learning Catalog
- Show initiative in recruiting international staff to ensure the best possible managerial staffing for the mission.
- Performance, well-being and compensation and benefits
- Respond to and proactively manage performance board, employee grievances and disciplinary matters
- Lead the performance appraisal process
- Act as an impartial mediator in disciplinary proceedings and ensure that it is administered in a fair and just manner and that it meets all regulations and legal requirements
- Lead people's well-being initiatives
Coordinate the annual compensation review process and adjustments
- Policies and technical support
- Maintain and update personnel human resources manuals as needed
- Proactively pursue continuous process improvement in human resources practices in order to improve the quality and efficiency of the department
- Work closely with the regional and headquarters office to share information and provide support as needed.
- Provide technical support to Base Managers on HR and legal issues.
- Ensure the supervision of the relevant lists in coordination with the managers and the bases
- Monitor contract end dates and liaise proactively with managers
- Coordinate the exit process
- Ensure the supervision of the management of visas and residence cards
- Ensure the supervision of internal and international air movements
- Ensure timely updating and renewal of registration certificates of social organizations
- Liaise with legal counsel / lawyer
Planning and Reporting
- Participate in the creation of project proposals and in the preparation of financial reports.
- Planning review of the activities of his department.
- Develop a weekly schedule of activities for his area and submit it to his hierarchy within the required deadlines.
- Write all weekly and / or monthly reports requested by management, regional office or headquarters.
- List the difficulties encountered in coordination in the field and propose solutions for their resolution.
Ethics and compliance
- Manage the resources (material and financial) made available to him for the activities of the department and provide supporting documents on time.
- Comply with and respect all procedures (administrative, HR, finance and logistics) in force and current conditions as stipulated in the DRC Code of Conduct and the internal regulations governing DRC staff.
- Respect and enforce the procedures in force at DRC as well as the requirements of the donors.
- Show flexibility in order to respond to the imperatives and instructions of his supervisor for the needs of the service at all times.
- Carry out all other tasks apart from those mentioned above requested by his superiors and in accordance with his area of responsibility.
- To be in relation with the other technical departments in the search for a better answer and better use of the available resources.
Team management / Representation
- Recruit staff for its team, ensure their integration, monitor them on a daily basis, ensure their capacity building / training, disciplinary management as well as the regular evaluation of their performance.
- Prepare the schedules of the teams under his responsibility.
- Represent the organization to internal and external bodies, on request and / or on delegation
Experience and technical skills:
- At least 5 years of experience in a relevant field, including at least 2 years in a human resources management position within an NGO.
- At least 3 years of experience in personnel management
- Proven leadership skills and people management skills
- Understanding and working knowledge of and experience in human resource management principles, concepts and processes
- Experience in a country with labor law that heavily influences the operationalization of HR decisions
- Excellent skills in handling and advising on complex people management issues
- Experience in developing human resources strategies and policies, and leading their implementation.
- Experience using Homer, an ERP system and online recruiting
- Complete command of professional English.