DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
The HR Team Leader is responsible for the following:
- Ensuring that agreed HR & Admin work plans & activities in the area (Dolow, Luuq, Dhobley, Kismayo and Belet Hawa) are implemented.
- Responsible for people management of employees
- Conducting performance appraisals are permitted at area level, but closely overseen by the next-level manager.
- Supervise and provide technical support to the Human Resources and Administration Team
- Oversee offices and guesthouses functionality ensuring proper and timely maintenance.
- Responsible for work permit/visa applications for expatriate staff.
- Create and maintain a robust filing system, including the archiving of key documents.
- Process all necessary agreements, permits and licenses necessary for DRC's operations in South-central in timely manner.
- Prepare monthly payroll and ensure that all payroll changes are captured every month.
- Ensures distribution of area office staff lists on a monthly basis.
- Supervise and provide technical support to the HR & Admin team.
- Ensure compliance with DRC/DDG & donor procedures and that cost effective processes are employed at all times.
- Ensures completion and submission of necessary Admin reports in timely manner.
- Participate in areas monthly meetings such as Operations Team Meeting, BFU meetings, Quarterly meetings.
- Ensure all Administration budgets are utilized effectively and before grant closure. Follow up on under/over spending.
- Assist the Area Manager in developing, establishing, maintaining, archiving and auditing HR and administrative systems.
- Ensure personnel files are complete and updated while ensuring adherence to highest levels of confidentiality.
- Monitor and ensure successful completion of staff performance
- Lead all national recruitment process in the area; ensure compliance with DRC recruitment procedures
- Prepare staff contracts for new staff in timely manner
- Plan, conduct and follow up on boarding/induction of new staff
- Conduct regular Code of Conduct training
- Ensure implementation of DRC HR policies and procedures; including frequent training to staff on HR policies.
- Update national staff insurance lists and report on accidents to the Insurance Company.
- Conduct and maintain casual roster list at area level.
- Lead exit process and monitor clearance by exiting staff in coordination with logistics and safety department.
- Manage leave and absence plans.
- Ensure HR reports are completed and submitted in timely manner.
- Under the direction of the Area Manager and working with the CHRA team, study new government legislation and make recommendations for updating policies in order that they comply with Somali Law.
- Ensure all staff have updated job descriptions.
- Provide professional guidance & support to staff, and advocate for staff so as to ensure that their rights as employees are realized.
- Ensure technical reviews of HR & Admin documentations before CD approval.
- Prepare and schedule are induction for expatriate staff.
Education, experience and technical competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. Advance degree in Human resources is an added advantage
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in relevant field preferably with INGO in Somalia context.
- Excellent organizational skills, self-motivated, proactive and able to accomplish set deadlines.
- Very honest and trustworthy person.
- Willing to travel and can work under pressure.
- Good problem solving and social skills and creative, to think of alternative solutions;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communications skills;
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Stable and robust character and a good team-player
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Office applications
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Fluent in local language.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.