Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job
Human Resources & Administration Team Leader role is to provide technical support and capacity building for HR/Admin team in the south Central Area office of DRC Iraq and work closely with the Support Services Manager and the Country HR/Admin Manager to facilitate the development of area level highly effective, strategic HR functions that ensures DRC program has the structure, culture and talent needed to deliver HR services effectively. Manage and oversee the HR & Administration Departments of DRC Iraq South Central Area Office; specifically ensuring good recruitment, retention and training of staff; maximizing the productivity of the organization through efficient and effective administration and management of key HR tasks; managing personnel issues including discipline matters and providing clear guidance for the prioritization and organization of the work in the HR/Admin team.
Geographic scope: South Area office – Based in Diyala
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC HR & Admin procedures and guidelines within the area – that includes all base offices in the area. The role contributes to the development of area office strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
The HR and Administration -Team Leader will perform the following functions:
Management of HR processes
- Work closely, coordinate with all Sector Programme Managers to develop and ensure smooth implementation of recruitment plans and ensure that job descriptions for positions are developed using the appropriate tools
- Lead and Facilitate recruitment processes by posting job adverts, collect applications from applicants, administering tests; verifying prior employment by contacting references; scheduling appointments; maintaining records and information
- Ensure recruitments, induction and deployments are done in a timely manner – this includes Fixed Term Employee and Volunteers Contract
- Ensure recruitment processes are in compliance to hiring procedures as outlined in the HR manual
- Performance management: Ensuring staff are getting the right support from line managers during probations; and making sure that evaluations are done in a timely manner and assist in development of annual staff development plan
- Compile monthly report for submission to the finance unit
- Process statutory payment and ensure monthly and annual returns are submitted on timely basis
- Timely enrolment of staff in to their entitlement benefits package. Assuring staff list is current at all times with all personal records up to date
- Monitor expiry of staff contract, Expats visa status & others and advice ASSM on timely basis
- Maintain knowledge of HR policies and Annual leave tracking & ensure employee adherence
Administration and Office Management
- Provide office management secretarial tasks by entering, formatting, and printing information; organizing work schedules of support staff, maintaining equipment and office supplies
- Responsible for setting appointments, Monthly access letter submission, arranging meetings, maintaining calendars, copying files, entering data into computer systems
- Assure staff living conditions are comfortable and make recommendations for improvement as necessary
- Oversee administration tasks related to housing and office management
Dynamics Related tasks
- creating new positions on Dynamics
- Validating data of staff which HR officers entered related to Baghdad area office and all field offices
- Tracking probation period, performance and development on Dynamics
- Report Dynamics issues to HQ
To be successful in this role we expect you to have the following:
- At least 3 years’ experience as an HR and Administrative generalist, including recruitment, performance management, compensation, training and development and Office Administration
- Proven experience of HR and Administrative functions for large budget programs in INGO sector is strongly preferred.
- Strategic experience with managing staff, workforce planning, and development of HR and Administration processes
- Ability to convey information effectively and solid experience providing training and staff development in English and Arabic
- Excellent team leading, interpersonal and negotiation skills and a demonstrated ability to promote harmonious/cohesive teamwork, in a cross-cultural context
- Proven ability to plan long-term, organize priorities and work under administrative and programmatic pressures with detail orientation and professional grace
- Highly collaborative and able to establish positive working relationships with senior level management and all other stakeholders to maximize cooperation and productivity
- Proven ability to manage large and varied workloads, and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours
- Fully professional proficiency in Arabic and English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.