Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Client Support and Special Situations Section (CSSSS) in the Division for Special Activities (DSA) in the Department of Operational Support (DOS) at United Nations Headquarters in New York. DOS was established to provide operational advisory services to operating entities across the Secretariat, including other departments, offices-away-from headquarters, field missions, and regional commissions. DSA oversees a range of specialized or cross-cutting operational capacities. A large part of its responsibilities is to support start-up, surge, transition and liquidation requirements and to exercise authority on behalf of entities to which authority has not been granted owing to a lack of capacity or from which authority has been temporarily withdrawn. The Division also has the mandate to provide crisis preparedness and support at all duty stations. CSSSS works with counterparts across DOS and other United Nations entities to effectively and rapidly support the deployment, establishment, transition and liquidation of client entities. The Section also provides and coordinates essential operational and administrative support to staff and families affected by a critical incident or any other crisis.
The Human Resources Assistant reports to Human Resources Officer.
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Recruitment and placement
- Participates in the selection of candidates for secretarial, clerical and related categories positions; including drafting job openings in Inspira, ensuring the major duties, responsibilities and evaluation criteria are reflected, evaluating and screening applications of candidates in Inspira; preparing candidate profiles, conducting preliminary interviews, conducting roster searches for vacancies and identifying short-lists of candidates.
- Assists in the filling of posts for all categories, including initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic verifications, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching offers of appointment and Statement of Emoluments.
- Coordinates schedules to conduct written assessments of candidates, including competitive recruitment examinations, with the aim to identify and invite successful candidates for a Competency Based Interview.
- Updates Inspira and notify candidates of the interview status, upon conclusion of the selection process.
- Oversees the maintenance, filing and tracking of job openings in Inspira.
- Coordinates with Executive Offices, entity stakeholders and selected candidates on visa matters, travel arrangements and shipment of personal effects.
Administration of entitlements
- Reviews and processes data pertaining to conditions of service.
- Conducts research and prepares written responses to support queries related to HR matters.
Staff development and career support training
- Assists in the organization and conducts of training courses and workshops.
- Provides logistics and administrative support to trainers.
- Assists in reviewing and processing requests for classification.
- Provides advice and answers general queries on classification procedures and processes.
- Maintains automated databases containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports.
- Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/reports.
- Provides general office support services; processes, drafts, edits, proofreads and finalizes for signature/approval a variety of correspondence and other communications; performs budget preparation; sets up and maintains files/records (electronic and paper); schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
- Prepares written response to queries concerning HR related matters.
- Provides advisory services, guidance and support services as required for each phase during surge/start-up, transitions, downsizing and liquidation of client entities.
- Assists with reviewing whether existing regulations, rules and policies are fit for purpose during surge/start-ups, transitions, downsizing and liquidations and liaises with the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC) to address challenges and gaps identified.
- Reviews and seeks support from DMSPC on exceptions to polices, regulations and rules.
- Monitors issues and data pertaining to conditions of service.
- Supports offices in the absence of Delegation of Authority (DOA); undertakes matching with service providers and handover of human resources activities once DOA is granted or a start-up entity’s human resources team is in place.
- Trains and provides guidance to less experienced staff.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in human resources management, administrative services or a related area is required.
- Experience in the implementation of human resources policies, regulation and rules is required.
- Experience using an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system such as UMOJA, SAP or similar system is required.
- Experience with an HR recruitment and onboarding system, such as Inspira, or an equivalent system is desirable.
- Experience in the United Nations system or a similar international organization is desirable.
- Experience advising clients in human resources administration is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is desirable.