Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Description of duties:
Within the delegated authority, the incumbent is assigned all or part of the following responsibilities. However, staff may be rotated and assigned to perform other duties within CHR as determined by the HR Specialist, CHR which includes ad hoc assignments.
- Enter post descriptions in Global Management System (GSM) and monitor completion of actions.
- Provide support in recruitment and selection activities: draft vacancy notices, screening questions and matrices; follow up on approvals; organize selection panels administer written tests and interviews; prepare selection reports with basic information; monitor and verify applications in eRecruitment; ensure that modalities related to practical arrangements for panels, written tests and interviews are undertaken; conduct reference verifications.
- Liaise with journals and external recruitment agencies and verify invoices; liaise with agencies for selecting and contracting staff, be the focal point for contract staff and administer agencies invoices.
- Ensure timely administration for staff on arrival and on separation: enter HR actions in GSM and ensure compliance with policies and procedures; cross-check with Payroll to ensure that staff member receives his/her salary, ensure that personal information is administered in GSM (eg. bank details, Staff Health Insurance (SHI), United Nations Joint Scheme Pension Fund (UNJSPF), dependants' details) and that required procedures are carried out and relevant parties informed.
- Ensure the quality and timely execution of administration and related actions in GSM on contract extensions (fixed-term and temporary appointments); performance appraisals (probationary, yearly and short-term); confirmation of appointments and extensions of probations; change in statuses.
- Refer more complex cases to the attention of the HRS and NPO and ensure correct implementation of decisions.
- Ensure tracking systems are updated daily.
- Liaise with SHI and hospitals (administer the process of direct payments, collect and update SHI on changes related to hospital room prices, verify hospital invoices, liaise with hospitalised staff members on guarantee letters and payment of bills, providing general assistance to staff on SHI matters);
- Review incoming correspondence and requests in the light of background material, instructions, policies and precedents, researching, obtaining and attaching background information in anticipation of the responsible officer's needs, or redirecting them as appropriate.
- Using appropriate tracking tools, follow-up on and ensure that target dates and deadlines are met, and that correspondence and queries are responded to in a timely manner.
- Act as Leave/attendance Administrator for the CSO.
- Act as Learning Administrator in the GSC.
- Will be responsible for administration of the iLearn system in GSC.
- Ensure that the general secretarial needs of the CHR team are met in a timely and efficient manner and that the information is easily accessible to all staff in the unit.
- Obtain documents and information from in-house and external sources as required; perform information searches (library, internet) as requested.
- Perform all other related duties as required or instructed, including provision of support to other areas of work and teams within the department to ensure effective administration of the Units.
- Essential: Completion of secondary school or commercial school.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited institution. The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/
- Good knowledge of word processing, spread sheets and databases is required.
- Strong organizational skills, flexibility and capability of working under pressure.
- Detailed-oriented and accurate.
- Experience in integrated management systems is desirable.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in the area of human resources with completion of secondary school or commercial school or;
- 4 years with the first level University Degree or;
- 3 years with an Advanced University Degree.
- Previous experience in a similar position an advantage.
- Expert knowledge of English, both written and spoken.