Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Operations Manager, the HR Associate provides leadership in execution of the full range of CO HR services ensuring their efficiency, transparency and integrity. The HR Associate promotes a collaborative, client- oriented approach and promotes the maintenance of high staff morale.
The HR Associate can supervise and lead the support staff of the HR Unit. The HR Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO and UNDP HQ and Regional teams for resolving complex HR-related issues and information delivery.
HR Associate will support the Country Office as business partner in all prisms of people management, including but not limited to, acting as focal point for learning and people development, support leadership capacity building, staff climate actions, staffing strategies, and others strategic fronts as requested.
Incumbent will approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and display a strong client orientation. As such s/he will display flexibility in performing other emerging tasks assigned by OM/DRR/RR, CD or supervisor/manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR recording and reporting systems with UN rules and regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework, proper functioning of the HR management system;
- Provision of advice and information on corporate strategies, changes in rules and regulations, implementation of personnel rules, strategic use of contractual modalities, application of entitlements, change management processes;
- CO HR business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management.
- Development and monitoring of HR KPIs and design of HR innovation practices;
- Ensure participation and interest of the UNDP within OMT HR Working Group;
- Lead preparation of staff climate solutions along with Senior Management, preparation of CO Retreat, strategy design for capacity building plans, staff development and wellbeing actions.
Ensures effective administration of human resources focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Organization of recruitment processes including drafting job description, provision of input to job classification process, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, participation in interview panels. Provision of advice on recruitment in UNDP projects;
- Creation/update of positions in Atlas, association of positions to chart fields (COAs), update of COA information, setting up vendor, performing the functions of Admin.HR, Position Administrator and Absence Processor in Atlas. Preparation of contracts (100/300 series, SSAs, SCs) and recurring vouchers in Atlas. Timely follow up with Finance staff on Global payroll issues;
- Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas;
- Maintenance of the CO staffing table;
- Preparation or review of submissions to the Compliance Review Panel (CRP) and Board (CRB);
- Administration of International staff entitlements and position funding delegated to COs;
- Administration of the CO rosters, including e-rosters;
- Validation of cost-recovery charges in Atlas for HR services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
Ensures proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Facilitation of the performance appraisal process and maintenance of the related data, monitoring and reporting on compliance, and acting as Secretary of the TMRG;
- Gather and analyze data from PMD;
- Participation in preparation of the Whole Office Learning plan and individual learning plans in consultation with the Senior Management and Learning Manager(s);
- Act as Talent Manager, working proactively to capture learning needs within the CO and facilitate due diligence in addressing such gaps in terms of resource mobilization, liaison with Regional Branches, seeking training resources within the CO or HR Working Group;
- Contribute with strategies to scale recruitment channels in partnerships with professional networks, Universities, social media, etc;
- Support local staff in pursuing new career steps via HR Clinics session within the UNDP career framework and procedure (applications, CBI interviews, etc.).
Ensures conduct of UN-related surveys focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection of information and preparation of reports for comprehensive and interim local salary, hardship and place-to-place surveys. Participation in the work of LSSC;
- Analyze the results of GSS Survey for the CO and contribute to the development of an action plan recommending interventions and corrective actions where necessary.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/projects staff on HR issues;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in HR;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Coordination of the HR Unit
- Provision of effective direction to and work development of member(s) of the team;
- Management of team in compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies;
- Management of team and individual performance;
- Support of supervisee(s) in facilitating their learning and development;
- Support of supervisees in maintenance of their health and well-being, safety and security;
- Help develop a result-based management work approach within the HR unit.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education with Specialized certification in HR;
- University degree in HR, business or public administration is an asset, but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of relevant experience at the national and/or international levels in providing HR management support services in both strategical and tactical levels, supervising staff, personnel contract administration, staff development and training, counseling, recruitment, and other fronts in HR discipline;
- 5 years of relevant experience above described will suffice in possession of a bachelor’s degree;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office);
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP systems, experience with Peoplesoft or Atlas is an asset;
- HR certification is an advantage.
- Proficiency in English and Portuguese;
- Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.