Human Resources Intern
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Copenhagen, Denmark
Closing Date for Applications:
We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with a strong interest in Human Resources and refugee issues, to complete a six-month internship within UNHCR¿s HR team. This internship is a unique opportunity to gain valuable experience with HR practices within UNHCR and the UN in general.
The Human Resources Intern will be working under the supervision of the HR Officer and HR colleagues. The selected candidate will get hands-on recruitment experience and work in a multicultural team with colleagues from all over the world.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinating and administration of the UNHCR internship programme in Copenhagen. This includes but is not limited to: Advising and guiding supervisors on the internship guidelines and recruitment process including assisting in shortlisting and participating in interviews; Creating and posting vacancy notices; Issuance of letter of offers/agreements; Briefing new interns on working conditions;
- Organizing and conducting the onboarding procedures for interns and other staff members, if necessary;
- Improving the internship programme environment;
- Assisting with the maintenance of the Intranet page;
- Coordinating/organizing recurring Early Bird Sessions for Interns;
- Planning and organizing events and workshops;
- Opportunity to define his/her own HR improvement projects looking into our internal processes;
- Monitoring and assuring the compliance of UNHCR policy on Records and Archives keeping while carrying out the filing tasks;
- Possibly assisting the other CMS sub-units when needed.
- Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a recent graduate (completed studies within one year at application date) or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme (Human Resources Management, Business Administration or related field) from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO; And have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of the Organization
- Have excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills as well as be comfortable with working in an international environment
- Be fluent in English, with advanced writing and editing skills. Additional languages are desirable, but not essential
- Have good experience using the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrate a genuine desire to learn and develop
- Be highly organised and have good attention to detail
- Be able to multi-task and to prioritize workload
- Be a flexible team-player
Location and Conditions
- The successful candidate will be based with the team in the UN City in Copenhagen, Denmark. The internship is a six-month full-time role with 40 working hours per week, from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday. The start date is to be determined in accordance with the measures adopted by the Danish government and the guidance of UNHCR regarding the COVID-19 situation. Depending on the circumstances, there is a possibility the successful candidate will perform certain duties remotely and/or from at home.
- Obtaining and renewing current visas and residence permits including all associated costs, are the responsibility of the intern. Please note that the terms of internship, as defined by UNHCR practice, include the payment of a Food and Local Transportation Allowance (FLTA). In case the intern is sponsored by another source during the internship this will be deducted from the FLTA.
- The written test might be included in selection process.
- The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- For any technical problems encountered during the online application, please contact the Global Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org by allowing sufficient time for the resolution of the problem.
- UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a Human Resources Internship within the Centre Management Section in our Copenhagen Headquarters in Denmark.
- UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 130 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions of people.
- The internship will be within UNHCR¿s Human Resources Unit, which sits within the Centre Management Section (CMS) and serves departments both within CMS and the wider organisation. The Centre Management Section (CMS) is headed by the Chief of Section, who supervises five functions which are all located in Copenhagen. These include: 1. Human Resources Unit, 2. Travel Unit, 3. Finance Unit, 4. Admin Unit and 5. Information Communication Technology Unit. The HR Internship is located in Copenhagen and will support colleagues based in Copenhagen.