BACKGROUND INFORMATION - UNOPS
- UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
- UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
- UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
- With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
- UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
Background Information – Cambodia Multi-Country Office
- UNOPS established its Cambodia Multi-Country Office (KHMCO) in early 2013. Since then, KHMCO has carried out a diverse set of projects/programs, such as a multi-donor funded project to support the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (also known as the Khmer Rouge Tribunal). Also, KHMCO has been providing advisory services in the infrastructure sector to other development partners, such as the Government of the Russian Federation and KOICA, and procurement support and advisory services to different line ministries of the Royal Government of Cambodia.
- UNOPS KHMCO is also overseeing business activities and/or providing Support and Services to UNOPS operations in other countries, within the Greater Mekong Sub-Region such as Lao PDR and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, as well as the Philippines, mainly focused on the infrastructure sector, but also encompassing good governance, trade facilitation and environmental issues.
- In addition, KHMCO is providing Support Services to the Malaria Programs and Regional Artemisinin Initiative (RAI) funded by the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM).
- UNOPS KHMCO is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in partnership with different development partners, focusing mainly on a portfolio comprised of projects and programs in the infrastructure and environmental sectors, as well as continuing with the provision of transactional services (HR and Procurement services). For that, UNOPS is subsequently looking for qualified and committed experts that can contribute to fulfill our mandate in Greater Mekong Sub-Region and beyond.
THIS IS THE LOCAL INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME, SO ONLY CAMBODIAN IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY.
INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE THE FATHER, MOTHER, SON, DAUGHTER, BROTHER OR SISTER OF A PERSONNEL MEMBER OF UNOPS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR AN INTERNSHIP.
- The HR Intern will work under the guidance of the HR Specialist and in close collaboration with all team members within the Cambodia Support Service team to support their work and ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
- HR Administrative Support
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provides support to recruitment, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to outreach efforts
- Assistance in longlisting and shortlisting
- Assistance with the administration of written assessments
- Administrative and logistical support to general recruitment processes
- Participation in interview panels and minutes taking
Ensures efficient HR Administrative Support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Research on competency-based interview questions
- Enhancement of an existing library of CBI questions
- Enhancement of existing templates used to communicate with candidates
- Contribution to other research projects
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing and contribution to product/process efficiency, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide suggestions for policy/procedure improvements;
- Support process efficiency initiatives
Terms and Conditions
- The internship is a learning and working opportunity that targets students and fresh graduates.
- The intern will be exposed to practical learning and working experiences that foster development of his /her path.
- The Intern will work full time and follow the same working hours as UNOPS employees.
- Workspace in a shared office including computer and stationery will be provided
- Use of common office facilities, as for all UNOPS staff
- A monthly stipend from UNOPS, if they do not receive funds from other institutions.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Completion of secondary / high school or equivalent is required.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in, or have recently completed (within three years prior to the application date of the internship) a Bachelor/Master’s/Ph.D. Degree in a relevant area, preferably in HR, Psychology, Communications or Business Administration.
- Completion of an Advanced University Degree in the relevant areas is a strong asset.
- Experience in an international environment, in HR, Administration, Operation, Support Service, Communications or other related fields would be a strong asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages and experience in handling web-based systems is an asset
- Willingness to learn, agility, and open to new challenges.
- Fluency in written and oral English is desired.