Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Creative Associates seeks a Human Resources (HR) Manager for an upcoming USAID-funded program in Afghanistan. The overall goal of the Afghanistan Competitiveness for Export-Oriented Businesses Activity is to support and enhance the market-driven growth of Afghan SMEs associated with export-oriented value chains and enterprise clusters in Afghanistan. This will be achieved through a direct technical and in-kind support of leading afghan exporters and relevant supply/value chain. The HR Manager will be responsible for assisting with all field-based HR and administration issues regarding national and international staff. This includes the coordination and completion of all recruitment processes. S/he will manage local national staff benefits as well as other related tasks as assigned. S/he is also responsible for providing overall administrative support to senior management on decision making regarding HR issues and ensures smooth flow of work throughout the project.
Reporting & Supervision:
Reporting directly to the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for Compliance, Operations and Grants Management, the HR Manager will support the management of a field team and offices for implementation of the program. S/he will liaise with the relevant regional HR managers on related corporate human resources matters.
- Manage HR office operations ensuring compliance with Creative and USAID HR rules and regulations and meeting all requirements and deadlines pertaining to HR in a timely manner;
- Coordinate and conduct recruitment functions; communicate with department representatives to establish the development of job descriptions/announcements including opening and closing dates and develops and places advertisements;
- Manage the hiring process, in conjunction with senior management, to coordinate the screening of applications, interview process, and development of selection tools; performs reference checks, etc. and sends appropriate correspondence to all applicants in a timely manner.
- Work with project managers to ensure timely hire/renewal of consultants under project grants, ensuring required documentation is obtained;
- Develop, establish and update the Employee Manual, Internal Regulations, HR Policies, Performance Appraisals, the Employment Agreement and Consultancy Contracts;
- Develop, maintain and update, if necessary, human resources systems in collaboration with the DCOP;
- Within scope of responsibility, provides information and general assistance to the employees regarding human resources policies and procedures; answer questions and provide information regarding interpretation of rules, problem solving, general advices and recruitment issues;
- Serve as liaison with DCOP Operations/General Ops Manager to local legal services to advise on HR employee issues involving local labor law and grievances;
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster a positive attitude towards organizational objectives;
- Responsible for coordinating staff training and establishing staff development plans based on staff appraisals and evaluations;
- Provide training to local staff on HR policies and procedures contained in the Host Country National Manual and Handbook;
- Prepare various forms of HR correspondence including letters, memos, tracking sheets, bulletins, announcements, training and capacity building plans and memoranda; updates various charts;
- Advise managers on deadlines for 90-day probation status, employee performance evaluations, and personnel action forms;
- Receive and log various grievances or complaints from employees; consult legal counsel on difficult cases and provide options prior to forwarding complaints to management for review;
- Provide information and general assistance to employees regarding human resource policies and procedures and respond to employee questions and provides information regarding interpretation of HCN employee rules;
- Provide administrative decision-making support and leadership to resolve employee problems; counsel employees and supervisors concerning performance and disciplinary matters; review and provide recommendations on a case by case basis;
- Provide administrative support to HR and Administration Department in all HR functions;
- Coordinate employee recognition activities such as service awards, employee-of-the month, etc. in consultation with senior management;
- Provide oversight to HR staff on organization and update of personnel files and other related HR documents including employment agreements, amendments, time sheets, calendar holidays and leaves, ensuring confidentiality;
- Liaise with health and life insurance Company to provide required benefits to local employees;
- Supervise subordinate HR and administration position;
- Conduct HR employee performance appraisals;
- Organize and evaluate office production and procedures and create processes to manage work flow;
- Provide direction and oversight to the maintenance of the HR information system; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree related to human resources, administration, or business administration, plus five (5) years’ work experience in a related field;
- Certification in human resources (PHR, SPHR, GPHR) is considered a plus;
- Multi-tasker with positive attitude;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Considerable knowledge of local employment law is a plus;
- Proficient at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc;
- Excellent record keeping and documentation skills and the ability to correspond effectively via electronic methods; and
- Written and spoken fluency in English, Dari and Pashto.