Human Resources Officer
United Nations Office at Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the respective office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), the Resident Coordinator System (RCS) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
This post is located in the Human Resources Management Service (HRMS) within the Division of Administrative Services of the United Nations Office at Nairobi and reports directly to the Chief, Staff Pay and Benefits Section.
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Officer (HRO) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Advise human resources assistants on staff pay and benefits, including the on-boarding of selected candidates.
- Provide advice and support to managers and staff on human resources related matters.
- Keep abreast of developments in various areas of human resources (HR).
- Supervise the work of the human resources assistants in carrying out human resources administrative transactions, including preparation of personnel actions, maintenance of staffing tables and processing of contracts.
- Prepare special reports and participate and/or leads special human resources projects.
ADMINISTRATION OF ENTITLEMENTS:
- Provide advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules. Review and provide advice on exceptions to policies, regulation and rules.
- Administer and provide advice on salary and related benefits, travel, and social security entitlements.
- Determine and recommend benefits and entitlements for staff on the basis of contractual status.
- Review policies and procedures and recommend changes as required.
- Advise and counsel staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct and difficulties associated with work and entitlements .
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in human resources management, business or public administration, social sciences, education or related area, is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area is required.
- Experience in human resources management as applied in the context of providing services to clients is required.
- At least three years' experience in the application of internal regulations and rules in an HR operational environment of an international organization, is required.
- Experience in the administration of a broad range of entitlements and benefits using an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is required.
- Experience in administering entitlements and benefits to clients in globally dispersed locations is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.