Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Umoja Support Team, Strategy and Policy Development Service, Global Strategy and Policy Division, Office of Human Resources, Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance.
The Global Strategy and Policy Division serves as the central strategic authority for all matters pertaining to the management of human resources. It ensures that the Organization has the strategies, policies, frameworks and tools to attract, develop and retain a talented and diverse global workforce. It nurtures a culture of engagement, leadership and results. It provides policy, strategic and thought leadership, innovations and solutions for the end-to-end management of talent: from strategic workforce planning; talent acquisition; organizational and staff development and growth; performance management; including Organization-wide mobility and appropriate duty of care, for all Secretariat staff.
The incumbent will work under the overall supervision of the Director of GSPD, who is the co-lead of the Umoja HR functional sub-group. The incumbent will report to the Senior Umoja HR support focal point within the Field Strategy & Conditions of Service Section (FSCS).
Within limits of delegated authority, and under the guidance of the Chief of Section, the Human Resources Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Plans, organizes, manages, and supervises the work of assigned staff
- Promotes staff development and career support programmes within the supervised area
- Establishes collaborative relationships with all relevant internal and external partners
- Keeps abreast of developments in various areas of human resources, in particular as pertaining to HR systems support
Programme and Project Management
- Contributes to the establishment of the Umoja HR support framework by defining new or enhanced capabilities, supporting system design, prioritizing enhancements, and initiating process improvements
- Leads Umoja related projects for the business and coordinates related activities including business requirements gathering and change management activities
- Supports strategic project management activities for Umoja HR support projects including collaborating with business owners and project leads to implement project schedules, achieve milestones, and manage project resources
- Promotes the utilization of good project management processes and tools for Umoja HR activities, including the use of Gantt charts, organizational charts, workflow and use case diagrams, RACI charts, templates, and risk management strategies
- Collaborates with business owners and project leads to implement project schedules, achieve milestones, and manage project resources
- Implements best practices, templates, and controls for Umoja HR projects under the direction of the Senior Umoja HR support focal point
- Manages daily project activities and teams, including by resolving conflicts and mitigating risks
- Provides status reports to project stakeholders and the Senior Umoja HR support focal point
- Provides ongoing operational Umoja HR process owner support including technical advice during policy development and process improvement projects, ensuring processes and policies can be supported by Umoja.
- Contributes to business and user testing activities and business intelligence activities
- Acts as a change management expert on HR business process and procedures emanating from the introduction of Umoja enhancements and continuous improvements
- Identifies data and information needs related to the Umoja HR operational support framework
Business Process Improvement
- Analyses existing documentation related to Umoja HR business processes in order to identify opportunities for streamlining and automating processes
- Advocates for the simplification and development of new human resources policies to support policy and system alignment and support process improvement initiatives emanating from Umoja enhancements and continuous Umoja HR related improvements to meet the evolving needs of the Organization
- In consultation with clients, reviews pain points in business processes, including based on operational requirements and trends, in particular as related to systems with a view to eliminating them while advocating for adaptation in policies, processes and systems
- Supervises and monitors the work of junior colleagues in undertaking the full range of HR management activities
- Performs other work-related duties as may be required
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in human resources management, project management, administration, or a related field is required. A first-level university degree (Bachelor's degree or equivalent) in combination with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administration, programme management or a related area is required.
- Experience supervising project teams is desirable.
- Experience coordinating relevant policy and systems aspects of a complex project is desirable.
- Experience in the design and development of technical solutions related to HR processes is desirable.
- Experience in the provision of human resource services in the United Nations or a similar international organisation is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this position, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.