Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Purpose of the Position
- Under the supervision of Chief of Operations or Chief HR, the successful candidate will manage human resource activities including the supervision of human resources staff in a small-medium size country office in accordance with the HR strategy and work plan, aligned with the Country Programme Management Plan as well as the goals and strategic needs of the organization.
- Also will provide guidance in human resources that promote a gender-balanced multidisciplinary team of professionals.
Key Expected Results
1) Recruitment, Selection and Placement
- Ensure a diverse body of staff of the highest calibre are recruited and retained, including staff with specialized talent aligned with the priorities included in MTSP.
- Establish equity, transparency, efficiency and consistency in the placement and selection of staff, and ensure the measurable results and impacts of recruiting efforts on the organization are fully evaluated.
- Ensure HR resource management and strategy planning incorporate a continuous analysis of gender disparities to identify strategies and actions to promote gender equality, diversity and a gender sensitive work environment.
2) Policy Implementation and HR Administration
- Clearly demonstrate equity, transparency and consistency are clearly demonstrated in the interpretation, determination, implementation, and administration of HR policy, procedures and guidelines on all HR related matters.
- Ensure HR benefits, entitlements, job classification, performance management, promotions and contracts renewal and termination are administered in a timely, equitable, systematic and transparent manner.
3) Capacity Building and Career Development
- Strengthen capacity building and career development among all staff.
- Identify and provide capacity development and support opportunities for HR staff, other colleagues, and relevant partners as necessary.
4) Strategic HR Planning and Management
- Effectively support HR management and strategy planning by sound technical analysis, and office management and planning processes. Ensure strategy guidance and technical support for HR planning and management is always available to management.
- Effectively undertake local implementation of /regional /country level HR strategy in coordination with the Regional Office and HQ Divisions.
- Identify and incorporate new trends, priorities, requirements, and strategic HR plans through participation in Country Programme Strategy Review, Regional Management Team Meetings, and Global workshops, as appropriate.
5) Management Excellence in the Office
- Ensure management excellence and integrity, gender equality and gender equity are promoted and enhanced through measurable accountability and demonstrated leadership in HR management of the office.
6) Staff and Management Relations
- Ensure communication between management and staff are clear, and sound relations between management and staff are effectively established and maintained.
7) Inter-agency cooperation, Networking and Partnerships
- Ensure HR initiatives are well-coordinated with other UN and Government agencies, to the betterment of HR planning, cooperation and implementation.
8) Emergency and Staff Security
- Establish and ensure emergency preparedness and emergency rapid responses. Emergencies affecting staff are promptly and properly investigated and appropriate coordinated actions are swiftly undertaken.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An advanced university degree (Master's) in Human Resources, Business Administration, International Relations, Social Sciences, Psychology or a directly-related technical field(s) is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience, at the national and international levels, in Human Resources Management and Staff Development is required.
- Prior experience working in the UN System or other international development organization is desirable.
- Prior experience in a supervisory/managerial capacity is desirable.
- Prior work experience in emergency duty station is an asset.
- Fluency in English (verbal and written) is required. Knowledge of an additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is considered an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
- Consistently achieves high-level results, managing and delivering projects on-time and on-budget.
- Creates and encourages a climate of team-working and collaboration in a multi-cultural environment.
- Analyzes and integrates potentially conflicting numerical, verbal and other data from a number of sources.
- Demonstrates and shares detailed technical knowledge and expertise.
- Sets clearly defined objectives and plans activities for self, own team or department.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.