Human Rights Officer
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Conakry, Guinea
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located in the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), Country Office in Conakry, Guinea. The incumbent reports to the Representative of the Country Office.
Within delegated authority, the Human Rights Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Plans and coordinates activities related to thematic and country mandates on human rights, including from a gender perspective.
- Plans and coordinates human rights promotion activities (technical cooperation, training, workshops, seminars, awareness raising) on behalf of OHCHR Guinea.
- Drafts and develops human rights projects and programmes jointly with other UN agencies, including in the context of peace building funding.
- Conducts substantive research and analysis of human rights issues/events and assesses their impact on the human rights situation in assigned region or country; works with a variety of human rights actors, including civil society organisations, national institutions governments and UN agencies in advancing human in the country.
- Conducts training on human rights monitoring, reporting and advocacy for national actors, NGOs, UN agencies and Government officials.
- Collects and analyses human rights data and indicators in country/region of assignment, including gender-specific data and indicators.
- Ensures human rights issues, including their gender equality dimensions considerations, are integrated into political, humanitarian and economic efforts and programme.
- Defines work plan for area assigned in accordance with established terms of reference.
- Assists countries' security bodies and the judiciary as well as regional security and rule of law institutions and organisations to develop and implement a training program in the field of human rights, international humanitarian law, democracy and the rule of law, with attention to gender perspectives.
- Represents OHCHR Guinea at working level meetings.
- Directs capacity-building efforts on human rights in Guinea.
- Writes a variety of reports, communications, briefings, statements, etc., including to policy-making bodies.
- May provide guidance to new/junior staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in law, political science, international relations, social sciences or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in human rights, political affairs, international relations, law or related area is required.
- Experience in the region of the duty station is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in French (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of English is desirable.