WORK CONTEXT / BACKGROUND:
In keeping with changes in the conflict and commensurate shifts in humanitarian access, WV’s presence inside Syria has been evolving since 2011. Cross-border programming into Syria first began in May 2013, with projects in North Syria managed from Gaziantep in Turkey. In mid-2016, WV opened cross-border programmes in Dara governorate, South Syria, managed from Jordan. Soon after, WV began supporting partners in Central Syria. By 2017, WV started operational planning for new programming in North East Syria with the aim of eventually setting up a formal area office, based in Hassakeh governorate. World Vision’s expansion has also shaped the need for effective monitoring of operations, mainstreaming and complying with humanitarian standards, assessing the impact of programs and efficient management and use of information.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The primary purpose of this position is to support World Vision to meet humanitarian standards of accountability to affected populations. In particular, this will include establishing, overseeing and ensure consistent systematic receipt, processing and response to community feedback and complaints that come through various feedback mechanisms such as hotlines, help desk, suggestion boxes, outreach and other channels. In addition, the role would champion applied learning across World Vision’s response, with a particular focus on building an evidence base around programmatic alignment to Core Humanitarian Standards. The role would also be responsible for mainstreaming accountability systems implemented by partners. The aim is to increase the level of accountability by World Vision to the communities with whom we work.
The position holder will report to the MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) Manager and manage a small team of field-based accountability officers. The role will work closely with M&E Coordinators and field / project MEAL teams to provide technical guidance and review of accountability workload. The position is essentially a champion for affected peoples’ needs and rights in line with WVs’ commitment to be accountable to conflict affected people
Technical Leadership and Systems Development
- Ensure that WV Programme Accountability Standards - information provision to communities, consulting communities, promoting participation and complaints and feedback mechanisms are designed based on preference and in consultation with communities as well as implemented and monitored in a verifiable manner
- Ensure information sharing channels are established and functional continuously to provide people in need / affected population better understanding on their rights, entitlements, registration, targeting / selection processes, access to other services, and their rights to provide feedback and the available channels.
- Strengthen Complaints and Response mechanisms at community level in consultation with affected population and key people and in adherence to Core Humanitarian Standards (Feedbacks and Complaints are welcomed and addressed)
- Ensure that all complaints are channeled internally and to partners for review and to be responded within the agreed and appropriate timing.
- In coordination with SMT and P&C, ensure that internal systems and processes are in place to receive and act on sensitive complaints (PSEA), especially on child protection issues, staff misconduct, corruption and fraud.
- Work with M&E team to establish processes for linking analysis of community feedback and monitoring data and ensure accountability processes are monitored and evaluated to inform changes in programming
Implementation & Reporting
- Compile and submit quality reports to MEAL manager for further consolidation and management decision making
- Review all complaints & response mechanisms (CRM) on a periodic basis to ensure systems are relevant and efficient. This will include community and partner review meetings / assessments.
- In collaboration with Information Management Coordinator Eensure a central database is maintained to document complaints and feedback received from all channels. Ensure that the database is updated and utilized on a daily basis
- Ensure that the mobile technology is used widely across HA work for cost efficiency, real-time information & centralized data purposes.
- Work with sector leads & portfolio/grant managers to mainstream HA at project design, implementation including technical input into communication material, beneficiary selection processes, planning, monitoring and evaluation, community mobilization etc.
- Develop sector / project specific Information and awareness package and facilitate dissemination of this information with beneficiaries through established community, partner & public structures
- Work closely with the M&E team in a manner that complements each other’s roles and enhances program quality of the project.
- In coordination with MEAL Manager and M&E Coordinators, ensure accountability findings are integrated with M&E findings and are presented at the program review meetings on a monthly basis, and prompt critical thinking at project management & senior management level.
- Support the MEAL Manager in the establishment of a Country Monitoring Dashboard that will integrate critical indicators for Syria Strategy specifically on Program Quality ( ex. recommendations from beneficiary accountability review fully implemented )
Learning and Innovation
- In coordination with the MEAL manager support the development and roll out of an organizational learning framework that strengthens the use of programmatic data, including beneficiary feedback, in project design and decision making.
- Mine existing programmatic data and collect data where necessary to build an evidence base around World Vision’s performance against the
- Coordinate CHS self-assessment process and ensure learning is applied to existing and future programmes
- Develop, package and disseminate learning products on accountability and CHS appropriate for audience
- Collaborate with World Vision’s wider partnership and the wider sector to explore and pilot innovations in accountability
Management, Capacity building & Coordination
- Ensure all HA staff supervised by this position are guided, mentored and their capacities built in order to deliver high quality outputs.
- Work closely with the HA Officers and CRM Assistants to ensure that they have all the required information, material, and resources needed for their day-to-day work.
- Ensure partner staff are trained on HA practices, tools and systems ; partner capacity is built to comply and produce high quality HA products in-line with WV & donor standards & requirements.
- Ensure all relevant WV frontline & technical staff are assisted in strengthening their understanding of Humanitarian Accountability and CHS concepts & competencies.
- Ensure WV is well represented in Humanitarian Accountability related working groups (ex. CDAC, AAP, CHS Alliance) and forums at national & global levels.
- Support other tasks as required by MEAL Manager
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree preferably in the field of social sciences
- Thorough knowledge on Sphere, Core humanitarian standards, child rights, human rights, DNH, HAP & DAC evaluation criteria are essential.
- Thorough knowledge in quantitative and qualitative data collection methods, and analysis is essential
- Thorough knowledge in writing technical MEAL reports is essential.
- Thorough knowledge on the humanitarian operations coordination, cluster operations, and major donor M&E requirements is essentials.
- Good understanding on database management and data structures.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Thorough knowledge of World Vision processes such as Child-Wellbeing, Syria response M&E framework would be an advantage
- Minimum of 2 years national & 3 years international (total of 5 years) experience in the field of MEAL, especially in emergency context and grant funding is critical.
- Proven experience in establishing a fully functional Accountability system for an organization that’s supported by bilateral & multilateral international donors serving more than 100,000 beneficiaries within a period of 12 months.
- Proven experience in leading Surveys (mix methodologies) from designing to report writing.
- Proven experience in local staff capacity building
- Proven experience in establishing MEAL systems for sub grantees and local partners.
- Experience in coordinating Accountability functions at a national level for an INGO covering some of the following sectors / thematic areas is critical : Health, Cash, Food, WASH, shelter, Education, Child protection and livelihood’s.
- Previous working experience in Middle East can be an advantage.
- Previous engagement with the Syria Crisis response in Turkey, inside Syria, Lebanon, Jordan & Iraq can be an advantage.
- Ability to work and produce high quality outputs in an intense & dynamic working environment, with local and international staff having different working styles and different levels of competencies is essential.
- Ability to perform well under pressure and comply with donors & partnership deadlines is essential.