Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding Coordinator
Danish Refugee Council, Geneva, Switzerland
Closing Date for Applications:
To shape DRC’s approach, engagement, and input in Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding fora in Geneva. The role will be pivotal in influencing and developing, externally, DRC’s profile and bringing its views and knowledge to bear in the development of HD&P thinking and, beyond it, concepts such as the ‘triple Nexus’. It will give us a voice in issues ranging from IHL-related norms on weapon use in populated areas, to the inclusion of peacebuilding principles and conflict mitigation in humanitarian response circles. The role includes taking up DRC’s position as co-coordinator of the Mine Action AOR within the Global Protection Cluster.
- The duties shall include, but are not limited to:
- Contribute to, and shape, DRC’s understanding of HD&P issues, under the direction of the DRC Geneva Representative and in close cooperation with HD&P cores sector staff.
- Provide DRC Geneva Representative with advice and guidance on HD&P debates and issues and how they relate to DRC’s mission and global advocacy effort.
- Build and develop DRC’s profile, messaging, and ability to influence in Geneva-based HD&P fora (e.g., MA AOR, disarmament treaty MSPs, the Conference on Disarmament, CCW, Geneva Peace Week), with particular focus on bringing displacement perspectives to these discussions.
MA AOR Co-Coordinator:
- With UNMAS, strengthen partnerships between mine action organizations and other humanitarian entities at the HQ level to enhance mine action coordination in humanitarian contexts
- Provide a focus for NGO views within the MA AOR.
- Support humanitarian mine action coordinators working in emergencies to facilitate coherent mine action responses in humanitarian responses.
- Ensure that mine action responses are integrated and represented in the Humanitarian Programme Cycle.
- Contribute to the development of the AOR, and support broader efforts to reform and develop the cluster system
- Develop specific HD&P advocacy initiatives and projects to further DRC’s engagement with the sector and provide additional funding to sustain the engagement.
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Geneva Representative
- Head of External Relations Secretariat
- HD&P Core Sector leads
- Demonstrated understanding of HD&P sector issues and work, including conflict management, security governance, mine action and initiatives to limit weapons proliferation
- Proven advocacy experience gained in a range of settings.
- Ability to persuade, tact, diplomacy.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- A sound appreciation of broader initiatives and priorities (gender transformative approaches, youth engagement, localisation and support to civil society)