HUMANITARIAN POLICY SPECIALIST
CARE USA, Washington DC, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
The Humanitarian Policy Specialist is a new position, intended to play a key role defining organizational humanitarian policy positions and driving an ambitious global humanitarian policy agenda through the delivery of deep and thorough analysis, advisory support and the development of superior quality written materials. Under the direction of the Humanitarian Policy Director and the Vice President for Humanitarian Practice and Policy, the Humanitarian Policy Specialist is responsible for developing high quality and relevant policy analysis that will inform organizational positioning and policy formulation. The Humanitarian Policy Specialist will lead the development of superior quality written materials including but not limited to policy papers that define CARE's position on critical humanitarian issues, talking points and briefings to ensure deep understanding and consistent messaging on priority humanitarian issues. This position is expected to represent CARE at a high level at relevant global fora in Washington DC, New York and other locations as appropriate.
- Policy Analysis, Research & Information Management
- Communications & Documentation
- Humanitarian Team Strategic Undertakings
- Other tasks as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master's Degree in international relations / political science
- 5-7 years humanitarian policy experience or 5-7 years international humanitarian experience.
- Sound knowledge of the humanitarian system, including architecture, policy trends and major and emerging actors
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of CARE or a similar operational INGO, ideally with some field experience in rights-based programming
- Proven ability to get things done in a complex, international organization
- Experience representing a large non-profit organization at high-level events
- Excellent analytical skills
- Top-notch written and oral communications skills
- An ability to bring simplicity to complicated issues
- Strong understanding of global humanitairan architecture and major players
- Knowledge and understanding of current humanitarian issues, including a strong understanding of how to apply humanitarian principles in a policy setting.
- Strong Interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized
- Flexible approach to work
- Ability to work effectively in a decentralized model