Humanitarian WASH Advisor
Save the Children, Sydney, Australia
Closing Date for Applications:
- Save the Children is a leading Australian humanitarian agency. With more than 90 years working with children.
- We are at the forefront of saving children’s lives when emergencies strike.
- Our Asia Pacific Technical Support Team (APTST) is a team of technical specialists that support our country teams across the region.
Where you come in
- As the Asia Pacific Humanitarian WASH Advisor, you will provide in-person and remote support to country teams across the region on all technical issues related to WASH.
- This involves proactive support to country teams to prepare and respond to WASH-related emergencies, as well as wider strategy development and programme planning.
- It requires deployment at short notice to support first phase emergency response activities and establishing appropriate, integrated WASH response programmes.
- In order to deliver quality programmes, the Asia Pacific Humanitarian WASH Advisor helps build staff technical skills/capacity through training, networking and mentoring.
- In collaboration with remotely based technical and capacity building teams, the role fosters and supports technical innovation and learning initiatives.
- As part of the regional technical group, the Advisor represents Save the Children’s country/regional/global WASH teams in Asia-based coordination mechanisms, and advocates for appropriate child-orientated WASH approaches in humanitarian contexts.
- you have significant experience working in emergency response contexts, particularly in the Asia Pacific region, including previous first phase emergency response experience.
- You have direct experience in providing clear, concise technical advice to a diverse range of staff, and are passionate about proactively promoting high quality WASH interventions within country programs.
- Your technical knowledge will be coupled with experience of managing and building the capacity and a regional community of practice around a team of international and national staff and providing program management/technical support across multiple locations.
- You have a Masters in Public Health, Water Engineering, or a related subject, or equivalent field experience, and have built up a reputation for innovation, collaboration and technical excellence in the WASH sector.
Roles and Responsibilites
- You will be willing to travel for around 50% of the year, with deployment lengths from a one week visit to a couple of months in the event of a breaking emergency.
- You will be available and ready to be deployed anywhere in the region at short notice. You will frequently work unusual hours and often in stressful and insecure environments.
- Working at Save the Children is more than just a job.
- It’s the feeling of knowing that your work is contributing to making the world a better place for children and working with others who feel the same.
- You will be rewarded by the opportunity to work for an organisation which will invest in your professional development and career aspirations. In addition, you will be offered a comprehensive rewards package, including relevant insurances, and 30 days annual leave and 10 public holidays.