Members of the Rohingya ethnic group are often referred to as one of the most persecuted minorities in the world. An estimated 905,000 Rohingya refugees currently reside in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, over 700,000 of whom fled extreme violence in Myanmar in late 2017. Most of the refugees live precariously with limited or no access to basic services, including adequate sanitation, healthcare, livelihoods and education.
The refugees have also put an immense strain on the Bangladeshi’s living in Cox’s Bazar, however, despite the challenges, the Bangladeshi communities were the first to respond when the Rohingya arrived and generously continue to host the refugees – many of the host communities are now also in need of support.
NRC has been present in Bangladesh since 2016, working through partnerships with local NGO’s. We have since scaled up our presence in Bangladesh, obtaining legal registration in November 2018, allowing us to better respond to the Rohingya influx. Alongside our partners, we provide assistance to refugees and local communities through Education programming and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) activities.
Our Ideal Candidate:
Our ideal candidate is a senior professional in Bangladesh with a legal background. This person is motivated to advocate for those in need and has experience working in a humanitarian context. They are passionate about using their skills to reach out to the community and have a positive impact.
Key Task and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate, manage and implement ICLA projects (activities and project documentation) as delegated by PDM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality of performance
- Contribute to ICLA strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection; explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Line management of ICLA project staff and ensure capacity building of project staff
- Monitor, analyse and document issues of concern arising during the casework with beneficiaries
- Coordinate with NRC Education and Camp Management project staff in relation to planning and implementation of programme interventions
- Represent ICLA project in various coordination forums and working groups (e.g. Protection cluster)
- Conduct ICLA specific technical assessment and research, documenting and presenting recommendations
- Contribute to organizational learning through the provision of specific technical analysis, lessons learned and reports
Key Education and Skills Requirements:
- Minimum 3+years’ experience from working with ICLA or similar project implementation position in an NGO/development context
- Fluency in English and Bengali, both written and verbal
- Education background LL.B from a University recognised by the Bar Standards Board
- Experience of working as a lawyer in civil and administrative law
- Understanding of laws and regulations related to refugees and vulnerable and marginalized groups
- Oral proficiency in Chittagonian and/or Rohingya desirable