Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Description of duties:
ICT ASSISTANT FUNCTION
As European Observatory staff and in close collaboration with the ICT Unit at DAF division, Copenhagen, and when appropriate the host organization (the Ministry of Health, Belgium) the incumbent performs a variety of services as follows:
- Carries out regular maintenance of the Office LAN/WAN inside the Ministry (host) infrastructure, facilitating stable operation of the active network devices of any type (switches, routers, firewalls) and cable system. Resolves technical issues related to LAN, power circuits and infrastructure support. Maintains the regular back-up system in the Office. Carries out or assists in the installation and initial setup of any backup hardware and software as needed.
- Maintains of the Observatory's server, monitors performance, carrying out log analysis, and ensuring appropriate security updates and protection. Backup of data systems resources.
- Administration, operation and maintenance of the office workstations and laptops and their network connections. Provision of technical specifications for purchase of IT equipment and checking equipment upon delivery. Support and maintenance of peripheral equipment (printers, faxes, multi-functional devices, copiers) upon the request of the office staff. Monitoring of the functioning of hardware and software applications; assisting with adapting software. End-user support in using standard software.
- Communicates with host technical services and with WHO; maintains effective working relations; implements network policies.
- Provides briefing and training to other staff on software application and use; suggests enhancements for network hardware and software, system upgrades for installation of additional software and further improvement.
- Acts as a technical focal point with the telephony and Internet provider(s), implements any technical activities/adjustments recommended by Internet service providers or host institution. Provides other on-site technical activities, requested by the Observatory or the ICT unit in Copenhagen that may require physical intervention into the hardware.
- Acts as a main technical focal point for the Observatory Inventory, managing and updating the inventory lists and archives, ensuring they include all hardware and software, labeling devices and providing appropriate information on technical specifications. Meeting requests for updates from the DAF-FCP unit in Copenhagen.
SHAREPOINT ADMINISTRATION FUNCTION:
- Monitor and fine tune the SharePoint production environment and the SharePoint platform itself as needed ensuring they work smoothly
- Administer the SharePoint Testing environment and the virtualized platform (Vmware)
- Backup the production environment and platform as appropriate, securing the content of the website (including by automating daily procedures / scripting, powershell)
- Administer the SharePoint platform; updating the HSPM Portal, creating new HSPM country pages, uploading text and figures to create Online HiTs as needed; carrying out periodic overhauls, developing html codes, updating system files as needed; Administration and tuning of most current Microsoft SQL Server, Sharepoint Server and Foundation
Administration Windows, IIS, on a virtualized environment (Vmware)
- Provide support to users including the HSPM project leader, OBS editors and the HSPM contributors as needed; supporting presentation of the platform at key events. Identifies problems and proposes solutions using the most relevant tools/techniques to meet specific client requirements and delivers to work plans and on time.
- Essential:Completion of secondary school education or equivalent.
- Essential: Formal training in computer support areas or demonstrated experience in system administration /network administration /helpdesk /hardware technician. Knowledge of SharePoint, SharePoint administration and Vmware.
- Desirable: Knowledge or 'on the job training' of server and workstation operating systems and applications, with advanced knowledge of Windows, desktop, notebook, and printer technologies.
- Producing results - The Observatory's work depends on effective IT and the SharePoint platform is an extremely high profile project valued by MS the post is key to both and must deliver results.
- Moving forward in a changing environment - The incumbent must adapt as OBS takes on new technical functions.
- Knowing and managing yourself - The incumbent must work relatively unsupported to provide IT services and to manage a key OBS portal.
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to new ways of working, be willing and able to work in a team of staff with mixed skills, sharing information, assignments and tasks to ensure achievement of shared goals. The incumbent must be suitable for work in an international environment; be able to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff members and national/host institution contacts. Since the incumbent may be a first point of contact with enquirers both from within and outside the Organization, tact, discretion and courtesy are valuable personal attributes.
- Essential: At least 6 years experience in Information Technology support, experience in user support and training in a large networked PC based environment, with strong knowledge of service desk/call centre systems, incident and problem handling and escalation; good knowledge of dealing with difficult customers in a service delivery role in an international environment. At least 1 year's experience of SharePoint administration.
- Desirable: Experience within a WHO environment and with its rules and regulations, procedures and practices.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
- Working knowledge of French or Flemish.