UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Job Organizational Context & Purpose of Job:
Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Associates perform procedural and some specialized activities pertaining to UNICEF’s ICT systems, which include desktop administration and server operations. Specialized activities typically pertain to the installation and routine configuration of ICT system components and user orientation. Procedural activities include all other processes that may not require the application of specialized information technology training and knowledge, such as maintaining technical and user documentation and/or serving as focal point for receipt and processing of user requests.
How can you make a difference?
General ICT / Office Support:
ICT Associates at this level perform a full range of procedural activities in support of ICT to ensure effective communications with client departments/divisions/offices and efficient provision of support to other ICT staff.
- Providing first-level support that includes receiving, processing and logging service requests.
- Managing lifecycle of ICT incidents assigned to him/her in service management tool.
- Providing support in conferencing with ICT and audiovisual equipment as and when requested.
- Creating and assigning work orders.
- Maintaining and updating files (electronic and paper) and internal databases.
- Maintaining ICT inventory, manuals and other documentation. This may require the incumbent to lift, move, mount, or store equipment.
Minimal ICT Administration:
ICT Associates are accountable for specialized support pertaining to routine ICT activities requiring thorough understanding and application of server, operating system, hardware and software documentation and functionality.
- Installing/upgrading, configuring (routine, standard) and maintaining systems, tools and equipment.
- Assisting in routine operation and monitoring of server systems.
- Providing second-level user support/troubleshooting.
- Extracting data from databases to serve the needs and requests of users, diagnosing errors and correcting as necessary.
- Performing backups of servers following standard backup procedures.
- Assisting in the generation of computer reports.
- Providing on-the-job orientation for users in the use of ICT systems.
- Skills needed:
- Good knowledge of UNICEF’s ICT regulations, rules and procedures as well as systems and applications.
- Good working knowledge of computer information systems, including micro-computer operating systems software (e.g. Windows), hardware and applications software and other office technology equipment.
- Ability to understand data and effectively use office technology systems for its input and extraction.
- Ability to provide on-the-job orientation to clients.
- Takes responsibility to respond to service needs promptly and proactively.
- Demonstrates a high degree of integrity, reliability and honors matters of confidentiality.
- Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
- Demonstrates courtesy, tact, patience and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Completion of Secondary education is required, supplemented with formal training in Computer Science, Information Systems, Telecommunications, Engineering.
- ITIL Foundation Certificate or equivalent customer support certification is an asset.
- A minimum of six years of practical work experience in information technology, requiring systematic methods of troubleshooting and problem solving is required.
- Experience in providing assistance to users on IT products and services, and use of applications and diagnostic tools is required.
- Practical experience in providing technical and business Customer Support and Services is required.
- Practical experience and working knowledge of various computer platforms and applications is required.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.