An estimated 905,000 Rohingya refugees currently reside in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, over 700,000 of whom fled extreme violence in Myanmar in late 2017. They reside in refugee camps, which are among the most congested camps in the world, with limited access to basic services, including adequate sanitation, healthcare, livelihoods and education.
The refugees have put an immense strain on the Bangladeshi’s living in Cox’s Bazar, however, despite the challenges, the Bangladeshi communities were the first to respond when the Rohingya arrived and generously continue to host the refugees, and many of the local communities are now also in need of support.
NRC has been present in Bangladesh since 2016, working through partnerships with local NGO’s. We have since scaled up our presence in Bangladesh, obtaining legal registration in November 2018, allowing us to better respond to the Rohingya influx. Alongside our partners, we provide assistance to refugees and local communities through Education programming and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) activities.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a senior professional in Bangladesh with an ICT background. This person thinks creatively and proactively about ICT solutions, and providing end to end user services. They are passionate about using their skills to reach out to the community and have a positive impact.
Key Task and Responsibilities
- Accountable for adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures and the global ICT Strategy.
- Responsible to analyse the needs and to develop clear country specific ICT requirements and plans, ensuring that ICT costs are adequately covered in the budgets.
- Responsible for ICT management, control systems and implementation of ICT Handbook, policies, guidance and procedures and data protection requirements.
- Responsible for timely and high quality delivery of ICT hardware, software and services to the country programme.
- Responsible for capacity building to ensure that all staff has the necessary level of knowledge on NRC’s ICT systems and procedures.
- Ensure that all aspects of IT systems, including hardware, software, internet and IT peripherals are well managed in all offices across NRC Iraq. Support/supervise IT staff in all offices achieving this.
- Ensure that servers in all offices are properly managed and data backups of all computers/servers are taken on a regular basis and all critical information/ backups are securely stored on-site and off-site.
- Ensure that inventory of IT infrastructure of NRC Bangladesh including all IT Assets (Computers, Laptops, Printers, Switches, UPS, Routers, Software Licenses copies etc.) is maintained & updated. Ensure that adequate measures are made to protect equipment from power surges or similar threats and organize necessary support in coordination with logistics team.
- Installation & configuration of necessary hardware, software and ensure consistent usage across all offices. Make recommendations on standardizing IT equipment in coordination with Oslo office and also on matters related to creating e-mail IDs for staff and BMS.
Key Education and Skills Requirements
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant ICT work experience in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Bachelor’s degree in Computing or Higher Diploma in Information Technology or equivalent
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in the humanitarian field is an advantage