Rights Respected, People Protected
Founded in 1946, today the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) works in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. Our 6,000 employees provide life-saving and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. NRC specialises in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend their rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena.
NRC’s expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. NORCAP experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
NRC in Somalia
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across seven countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The ICT Coordinator is responsible for coordinating and providing strategic and technical ICT support and recommendations in the country
Candidates can apply online by going through the " VACANCIES" link at www.nrc.no Email or Paper applications will not be considered.
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Coordinate the dissemination and implementation of NRC’s global and regional ICT strategy in the country, as well as contributing to its definition and review from a country perspective.
- Provide oversight and compliance checks on the implementation of ICT strategy and policies throughout the country.
- Coordinate ICT resources, skills and competence within the country and offer support and advice where and when needed.
- Collect and disseminate ICT-related knowledge and learning within the country and at a regional level.
- Work with ICT staff in the country to enable them to provide ICT 1st line support as well as assist with planning, budgeting and procurement as per NRC standards.
- Provide training of ICT staff in country and (when relevant) support the recruitment and/or on-boarding of new ICT staff in country.
- Provide hands on support and gap-filling throughout country – travel involved – at the discretion of Country Office and in line with need.
- Provides periodic reports on connectivity of the country and area offices through Meraki.
- Advice the country and area offices on bandwidth capacity required for offices, bandwidth usage as well as best practices of bandwidth management.
- Installing and configuring computer hardware, software, systems, networks, printers and scanners
- Monitor Somalia NRC networks online at all times, to avoid network disruptions
- Planning and undertaking scheduled maintenance upgrades and data back ups
- Maintaining records of software licenses (number of licenses and validity)
- Talking staff or clients through a series of actions, either face-to-face or over the telephone, to help set up systems or resolve issues and do refresher training every once and a while.
- Troubleshooting system and network problems and diagnosing and solving hardware or software faults
- Liaise with procurement and service providers in replacing equipment and computer parts as required, and in ordering new equipment from outside the country.
- Provide support, including procedural documentation and relevant reports necessary for IT and assessments done
- Supporting the roll-out of new applications, as well as the training in existing applications and online systems
- Continuously monitor cyber risks and immediately share alerts of phishing and spam emails to all staff for the betterment of security of NRC systems
- Continuously monitor the modes, bandwidths and costs of internet offered by Somalia ISPs
- Set up new users' accounts and profiles, emails and dealing with password issues
- Setting up MFA on users email accounts for two step verification security mechanism
- Rapidly establishing a good working relationship with customers and other professionals, such as software developers, computer maintenance companies as well as users
- Assess and ensure to have in place power and power backup system to facilitate computer systems
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Ability to keep up to date with modern trends in technology and match this with internal specifics
- Hands on experience in server installations and configurations
- Ability to analyse, troubleshoot, support and implement technical solutions at all levels
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to Manage the entire spectrum of information technology operations specially LAN/WAN/VSAT/Wireless technologies, Cisco Switches & Routers
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioral competencies and the following are essential for this position:
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Handling insecure environments