UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women Regional Office for the Europe and Central Asia (ECA) region was established in Istanbul, Turkey, at the beginning of 2014 as a part of the UN Women’s new regional architecture. Much progress has been made since the establishment, but at the same time, the Regional Office faces high expectations and demands from partners at both regional and country levels as well as from UN Women Field Offices. To this end, UN Women ECA Regional Office (RO) would like to bring on board an intern to provide substantive support to regional operations and initiatives, particularly in relation to UN Women’s work on issues related to the normative work of the Regional Office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The purpose of this internship is to provide an opportunity for graduate level degree students, where their educational experience can be enhanced through practical work and they can get familiar with administrative and operations processes. The intern will work in an IT unit, providing IT services to the regional office of approx. 250 people. During the internship, selected candidate will be able to work with several new technologies and experience work in international team. Selected candidate will get hands-on experience in these areas:
- Provision of IT User support to internal clients in regional office in Istanbul;
- Configuration of technologies such as Digital Signage, IP Telephony and other;
- Network configuration, internet bandwidth optimization and link load balancing;
- Configuration of operating systems and automated software installations (Windows and Mac OS)
- Configuration and operation of audio and videoconferencing technologies;
- Data mining and data analytics.
- Intern will obtain practical experience in Information and Communication Technology, administrative procedures and work in international organization. Tasks and responsibilities may be adjusted according to skills and preferences of selected candidate.
- Increased understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system
- Learning different aspects of ICT in an international environment
- Increased knowledge of issues related to ICT management
- Meeting and networking with UN Women interns and colleagues in other units
- Work as a team member in a multicultural setting
- Quality organization of files and reports;
Required Skills and Experience:
Education and certification:
- Applicants to the UN Women internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements: be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) in a relevant discipline (computer science, telecommunications) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Any IT related certificate is an asset, but not required.
- Working experience in information technologies is an asset, but not required;
- Previous experience with DTP or graphic design is an asset, but not required;
- Previous experience with web design or programming is an asset, but not required;
- A desire to work with and gain experience in multinational and multicultural environment is required.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of Turkish language is an asset.
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
- Application Information – Conditions and Policy
UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
Selected applicants must provide the internship application, two letters of recommendation, proof of health insurance and school enrollment, passport, and visa (if applicable)