Current Hiring Practices and Trends in the Development Sector
- BY David Mackenzie
Purpose of the Position
- To lead and manage the overall ICT Global Help Desk support which includes service objectives, metrics and customer satisfaction worldwide.
- The incumbent will liaise with HQ ICT chiefs, Regional ICT Chiefs, develop, implement and monitor the GSSC ICT plan.
- The incumbent will have the overall responsibility for the Global Help Desk support which includes field business and technical support, telecommunications at Tier 1 and Tier 2 at the GSSC location.
- The incumbent will also manage service-level and chargeback development, communications, project and personnel for the GSSC.
Key Expected Results
1. Manage the GSSC ICT services operations.
- Prepare IT work plan and budget for GSSC location:
- Manage the overall global help desk support (Tier 1 / Tier 2) including planning, overseeing regional and field office support service calls. This includes reviewing calls, distributing tasks, reporting on global help desk service calls, organizing shifts, analyzing and escalating within ITSS, and other division as required.
- Work with peers and HQ ITSS division to ensure that all GSSC ICT infrastructure is fully supported in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Work with Regional ICT Chiefs / Officers and field offices to ensure field needs and perspectives are fully reflected in all IT policies, guidelines and standards.
- Work with Regional ICT Chiefs / Officers and field offices to identify training needs and coordinate training delivery in cooperation with Training Unit or external regional institutions.
- Assist ITSS in the introduction of upgrades to hardware, software and maintaining staff skills as required with IT guidelines and in line with Change Management and Release Management guidelines.
- Generate customer centric ethic in general approach to team members' commitment to customer service, quality management and continued improvement.
- Ensure that all activities are undertaken in line with best practices (i.e. ITIL) with specific focus on incident and problem management.
- Perform any other relevant duties as requested by the Supervisor.
- Manage the global user access to all corporate systems and services. Ensure timely access is granted as authorized by the delegated authority
- Prepare, test and keep an up to date DR for the Global services provided.
2. Conceptualize, plan and coordinate ICT Global Help Desk support services.
- In accordance with the Corporate IT plan for ITSS, incumbent is responsible for:
- Global business and technical support.
- Global Help Desk support (hardware/software and telecommunication).
- Global telecommunications support at Tier 1 and Tier 2 levels.
- DR for GSSC IT infrastructure service and support.
- Global ERP, and enterprise applications support.
3. Provide business support development.
- Oversee the service management component of Enterprise Management Project.
- Map service processes and generate/implement improvements, using improvements to optimize use of service management tools (Help Desk software and Enterprise Management tools).
- Work with ITSS management to assist in identifying service needs and advising on appropriate technologies.
- Work with Knowledge Management Services Section to facilitate use of Internet/Intranet in service management.
4. Manage creation of analytical reports.
- Produce reports for GSSC IT Operations and ITSS Management on Global Help Desk services:
- Service Desk performance metrics.
- Frequently asked questions and knowledge bases.
- Opportunities for cost reduction or sharing.
- Availability of ICT resources (training, procurement source, consultants, etc.)
- Identify ICT/IM needs not properly addressed within existing initiatives or by ICT standards.
- Provide feedback on service Support.
5. Oversee Strategy and Operations.
- Support management of overall GSSC ICT strategy and operations.
- Support overall service delivery to the GSSC clients and meeting of business needs.
- Support management of the relationship between GSSC ICT and the GSSC end users.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree or equivalent background, in computer science, information systems, or other relevant areas. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least eight years of professional experience in information communication technology or related areas at the international, national level or in the private sector.
- Practical professional experience, at the national and international levels, in technical positions related to information communication technology and management.
- Practical work experience in planning and supporting business and technical environments within IT operational service and support function.
- Experience with leading and supervising Global Help Desk support is preferable.
- Fluency in English required.
- Other UN language an asset.