Background Information - Job-specific
The Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT) provides enterprise-wide oversight of ICT programmes, budgets and decision-making to ensure alignment with the Secretariat’s overall ICT strategy, in support of the Organization’s mission. Services required for this agreement revolve around the activities concerning OICT’s responsibility for the management of the global ICT environment which includes the development of Secretariat-wide infrastructure architecture and overseeing the central data centres that house enterprise systems and safeguard all Secretariat-wide data.
The UN is continuously targeted by cyberattacks and understanding how cybersecurity may affect the ability to deliver on its mandate is essential to be able to mitigate associated risks. OICT/Cybersecurity Section tasked to protect the geographically highly dispersed and diverse ICT environment of the organization from cyberattacks. In addition to the vast existing traditional infrastructure, the ongoing migration of service to cloud computing providers, as well as the significantly increased reliance on mobile computing platforms pose severe challenges that require additional resources, and new and innovative approaches to ensure the organization is adequately protected. This applies to areas such as threat management, incident detection and response, vulnerability management as well as ICT Operational Resilience, which aims at ensuring continuity of critical ICT services in the event of disasters. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Within delegated authority, the ICT Operational Resilience Senior Associate will perform the following duties:
- Reviews Information Systems’ Contingency Plans (ISCPs), verifies the implementation of OR controls, assesses their adequacy and effectiveness and produces OR controls assessment reports identifying ICT service continuity risks;
- Designs and schedules Disaster Recovery Exercises (DRX) of information systems;
- Coordinates the preparation and execution of DR exercises, produces DRX reports identifies lessons learned, and recommends corrective actions to improve ISCPs.
- Reviews ICT Disaster Recovery Plans of UN departments and offices, including reports of previous DR exercises, and assesses the organization’s overall DR preparedness;
- Coordinates and facilitates the Disaster Recovery process in the event of a disaster;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Impact of Results: Increased organization’s capacity to continue critical ICT services in the event of disasters.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required;
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Telecommunication Technologies, Information Technology, Information Systems or related field is desirable.
- Certifications in Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (such as CBCI, CBCM, CBCP or EDRP).
- Certifications in Information Security (such as CISSP, GIAC, CISM or CISA).
- Seven years of cumulative experience in planning, design, implementation, and operation of information systems with a high school diploma; or three years of the aforementioned experience with a Bachelor's degree in the field of Computer Science or Telecommunication Technologies; or one year of the aforementioned experience with a Master's degree in the field of Computer Science or Telecommunication Technologies;
- Two years of experience in development and maintenance of organization’s ICT Disaster Recovery Plans (DRPs) and Information Systems Contingency Plans (ISCPs);
- Two years of experience in assessment of DRPs and ISCPs, including preparation of assessment reports;
- Two years of experience in coordination of Disaster Recovery Exercises (DRX) of information systems, including preparation of DRX reports.
- Experience in coordinating and facilitating the disaster recovery process in the events of a disaster.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat;
- For this position, fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.
- Availability to work on weekends to coordinate DR exercises;
- Availability to be on duty to coordinate the response of real DR situations