Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Support Office for Somalia (UNSOS) is mandated to provide administrative and logistics support to its partners in implementing the United Nations Security council resolution on Somalia.
The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) has about 20,000 uniformed personnel serving in the Area of Responsibility (AOR) located in central/southern Somalia. A segment of the troops is at the frontlines and the other performs supporting roles.
The primary focus of the Project will be the mission's capacity building to benefit the AMISOM, the United Nations Support Office in Somali (UNSOM) and the Somalia National Army (SNA) staff. It will focus on training of staff, promotion of standardization in utilization of UN-owned equipment (UNOE), mechanism for stakeholder engagement and feedback on training support. This will then inform the necessary adjustment in support in a structured but multidimensional manner targeting people, processes, procedures, and technology.
Under overall supervision of Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent will work under the general guidance of the Field Technology Section of UNSOS and Senior Manager – Business Systems. This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent will administratively report to Data Analytics Specialist in New York, USA.
The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
- The ICT Senior Analyst – Reporting provides specific expertise in the implementation of advanced analytics solutions in support of UNSOS.
- The ICT Senior Analyst – Reporting will be responsible for the following duties:
- Turn data and general ideas into well-designed products with the guidance of senior staff and clients;
- Support the development process, including guiding research staff, scoping, design, implementation, testing and delivery;
- Develop advanced analytics solutions derived from multiple data sources using state-of-the-art tools to enable insight and decision-making at various levels;
- Develop data models, including performance measures, to enable scorecard analysis;
- Develop report templates and branding materials for reporting purposes;
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner;
- Develop documentation and training materials;
- Assist Data and Analytics Specialist with data, visualization and analytics related problems and support issues;
- Analyze and synthesize data from multiple sources;
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in information technology, computer science, engineering, economics, statistics, business or in a field related to the post description.
- Two (2) additional years of relevant work experience, in combination with a relevant first level university (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent), may substitute for the requirement of a Master’s degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in development, implementation and maintenance of business intelligence / analytics tools and applications, or related tasks;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience with MS Power BI, Tableau or any other similar self-service analytics tool;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience with relational databases such as Microsoft SQL and other related databases;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience with business and data analysis to identify precise, quantitative solutions;
- Desirable: (The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
- A keen interest in analytics, information management, visualization and performance optimization;
- Experience in report development with MS SQL Server Reporting Services;
- Experience with the following Office365 tools: Flow, Forms, PowerApps and SharePoint;
- Familiarity with advanced analytical techniques such as text mining, sentiment analysis, predictive analysis and event detection;
- Knowledge of Agile/Scrum methodologies and rapid prototyping approaches.
- Excellent experience with user-centric design process, tools and materials (reports, presentations) to communicate data-driven insights to clients and senior decision-makers;
- Experience in training users in analytics tools
- For the position advertised, fluency in English (write, read, speak) is required.
- Knowledge of French is desirable.