Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS and the ECA have partnered together to deliver on a project that will put in place the critical business systems and services to enable the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) to go beyond its current regular operations and effectively deliver on its Business Plan mandate of becoming Africa’s premier think tank. Five specific outcomes are foreseen, which are the results of the implementation plans of four corporate strategies introduced for communications, publications, knowledge management and ICT for Development. When attained, the outcomes will result in a sustainable increase in the visibility and impact of the organization’s work in the areas of policy research and knowledge delivery. This recruitment initiative is carried out by UNOPS in support of ECA’s Public Information and Knowledge Management Division (PIKMD) strategic intent. It is with this objective that UNOPS advertises these opportunities in partnership with ECA.
Within delegated authority, the ICT Senior Assistant will be responsible for the following duties: (These duties are not all inclusive nor are all duties carried out by all Networks and Communications Administrators.)
Provide assistance to the senior members of the team in operating and administrating the ECA Wide Area Network – (ECA’s external network infrastructure and connections to Sub-Regional Offices, UN Agencies as per Memorandum of Understandings, and UN Headquarters)
- Follow-up with leased line carrier and/or remote site technical support staff, service restoration during facility failures at Headquarters and SROs;
- Support with the operation and maintenance of satellite, wireless, voice infrastructure and other communications associated equipment including testing, preventative maintenance, fault diagnosis and repairs;
- Keep inform the UN Logistics Bases and UN Headquarters about the communications protocols and standards;
- Liaise with SRO ICT focal points in order to help setting up their local satellite, wireless, voice infrastructure and WAN links;
- Provide inputs regarding repairs and updates WAN and MAN network diagrams including proposed changes and associated documentation.
Works closely with the senior members of the team to operate and administer the ECA Satellite Infrastructure.
- Provide general support and set up assistance to various earth station subsystems and associated equipment;
- Support with the operation and maintenance of Intelsat Standard satellite earth-station equipment, inclusive of the antenna system, RF equipment, IF equipment, base-band equipment, and the control, supervisory, and test facilities;
- In coordination with INTELSAT support the periodic SSOG system testing and circuit line-up of existing digital carriers;
- Ensures that preventative maintenance and repairs schedules are carried out per established guidelines and procedures;
- Monitors with the UNLB Operations Center and remote earth-station sites the provisioning of point-to-point and multi-destination digital carriers.
- Follow up and perform preventative maintenance, fault diagnosis and repair.
- Maintains up to date earth-station records and documentation.
Works closely with senior team members to Provide Network Management and Monitoring function:
- Supports the general revision and action plan of the ECA Enterprise Network infrastructure including core, distribution, access layer switches and other network related solutions.
- Supports the operation and administration in order to promote adequate service and performance of the service.
- Provide assistance with the configuration of network devices: routers, layer three switches, content engines, wireless bridges and access points for the campus network infrastructure.
- Support the general revision and action planning of the network management and monitoring solutions (HP Openview: Network Node Management module (NNMi) and server operations manager module (OVOW), CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution (LMS), MRTG, Cacti and Manage engine Netflow analyzer for bandwidth monitoring, Big brother for device connectivity monitoring and GSX for Domino)
- Supports with monitoring the network devices health, in order to raised and identify faults with the objective of providing suggestions on how to resolve troubleshoot problems proactively
Works closely with senior team members to Provide Network Security and Remote Access Administration
- Assists in operating and administering redundant Internet Firewalls to protects and prevents ECA enterprise network Infrastructure and resource from external threats;
- Assists in deployment, management and maintenance of security systems which includes Firewalls, DMZs, Intrusion Prevention/Protection Systems, Proxies, Content Filters, Authentication servers, ensuring secured and the delivery of high-quality and availability of network services, and seamless connectivity based on UNECA Network Security Policies.
- Monitors availability and performance to measure continued effectiveness of network security systems.
- Support the analysis, design, installation, of new network security projects, or modifications to the existing campus network security systems, and prepares project schedules, time-line and cost estimates.
- Set up VPN connections to UNECA from remote locations, sub-regional Offices, UNHQ, UNLB, UNON and other UN agencies.
- Support users with remote access, SSL/VPN, reverse-proxy solutions facilitating extranet connectivity for trusted users, UN organizations and ECA stakeholders.
- Configures and troubleshoots Citrix Netscaler and Netscaler Gateway for access to applications and virtual desktops hosted in backend Xenapp or Xendesktop farms from any desktops, laptops, and mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, droid, etc.)
- Identify and raise security breaches and vulnerability issues in a timely and accurate fashion, and conduct user activity audits where required.
- Provides periodic reporting on information security issues
- Keep organize files and proper documentation of the telecommunications, network and computing environment
- Keep abreast of up-to-date knowledge of available and emerging network, security and computer technologies through professional reading, attending industry conferences, and professional development (training, education, and participation in professional associations)
- Provide inputs in designing and managing the business recovery and disaster recovery plans for the organization.
- Collaborates with Network Project Team in identifying network and system vulnerabilities, and the appropriate solutions to eliminate or minimize their potential effects
- Contribute to build, deploy & support of Citrix Netscaler content filtering & application firewall.
- Configure load balancing and URL redirect of various Servers with Citrix Netscaler
- Configuring authorization and authentication (RSA, Radius, Smart cards, LDAP, etc) on various Citrix security appliances and products i.e. Netscaler Gateway, Access Gateway etc.
- Provide sound contributions to the Group Policy Configuration for Citrix Netscaler VPX
Performs the following duties as required:
- Document all operational processes and procedures to ensure efficiency in m all aspects of the deployed systems
- Update System Run Books, defining day-to-day support, maintenance, troubleshooting knowledge base of the infrastructure.
- Provide sound contributions in the design, evaluation and deployment of Networks and communications equipment
- Apply lessons learned in order to device necessary corrective measures after incidents
- Participates in the deployment of communications equipment
- Assists in optimizing operations as part of the Networks and Communications team
- Contributes to the diagnosis of communications errors and escalates issues to other teams as required
- Assists in providing connectivity services to other UN Agencies as per MOUs
- Performs other related duties as required
- Minimum High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Technical training in specialized area of Information Systems, computer Science or related fields is highly desirable.
- Five years experience in networks and communications systems administration, and maintenance, satellite link maintenance, or related area preferably with a UN organization or INGOs. A BA or a MA degree may substitute for some of the required years of experience respectively.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.