Immigration & Border Management Thematic Specialist
International Organization for Migration(IOM), Brussels, Belgium
Closing Date for Applications:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Represent IOM in the region by actively participating in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of expertise.
- Present IOM policies and activities to EU institutions, EU Member States and other partner organizations and disseminating EU related policy and programming information to IOM Headquarters and IOM Missions worldwide.
- Monitor developments of and identify emerging issues relevant to the thematic area and contribute to the development of thematic policy, position and or analysis paper and reports.
- Coordinate with relevant units at HQs and the Regional Offices (ROs) as well as external counterparts with regard to the preparation of briefing materials for high-level meetings as required.
- Participate in and actively contribute to IOM’s network of RTSs globally, analyze and share best practices with relevant HQ Divisions and COs.
- At Regional level, map existing capacities (IOM related) and opportunities in view of increasing position and role – particularly on Humanitarian Border Management.
- Develop regional thematic guidance notes, information sheets and policy documents in coordination with RO Brussels relevant units (MHD), the COs and relevant HQ Division(s).
- Contribute to the delivery of quality thematic training to Governments and relevant counterparts as required by COs in the region.
- Counsel the HoU and RD on liaison and partnership efforts with FRONTEX, Europol and other European agencies active in the IBM field.
- In the area of competence and in close coordination with the Regional Programme Development Officer:
- Assist designing of outreach & resource mobilization-liaison strategies; counsel on opportunities to engage in relevant regional and EU processes and planning cycles;
- Provide EU-related thematic expertise to the development of EU-funded projects as needed and in close coordination with geographic desks in PPSU, Regional Offices and HQ;
- Develop regional and multi-country programmes and projects in the thematic area in the European Economic Area and identify anticipated synergies between thematic areas. In close coordination with Regional Offices, HQ and RO Brussels External Team, support similar programming efforts at global level.
- Provide thematic guidance to IBM focal points through sharing information and by providing general technical support upon request from the Field.
- Act as a thematic resource person providing capacity building, training, and general support to Country Offices (CO) in the region. Contribute to building the capacities of IOM staff in the thematic area through a combination of formal training and on-the-job mentoring.
Review, endorse, and track project proposals developed by COs in the region, and provide regular updates to the concerned HQ Division on projects endorsed as necessary and required:. Ensure that all endorsed projects are:
- consistent with the IOM Constitution, IOM Strategy and the Organization’s policies, thematic guidelines and manuals and any relevant national and/or regional strategies;
- coherent, relevant, and feasible, and take into account good practices in the respective migration/thematic area(s);
- developed according to IOM’s project development procedures as established in the IOM Handbook on Projects
- Review and endorse narrative donor reports submitted by Country Offices, according to the procedures specified in the IOM Project Handbook.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project development, monitoring of project implementation and liaison with EU donor counterparts as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution or advanced degree from a national border/police academy with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields or degree from a national border/police academy with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM project development and management;
- Demonstrated rich expertise in the thematic areas relevant to IBM project development, notably: Border Assessments, (Integrated) Border Management, Humanitarian Border Management (HBM), Border Security, Identity Management, Counter Migrant Smuggling (CMS), Migration Data Management, Intelligence and Risk Analyses, Facilitated Migration and Visa Support Solutions, etc.;
- Demonstrated experience in liaison/working with EU Institutions.
- Experience of developing large IBM projects and programmes, delivering IBM-related training/workshops to Government officials desirable;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs, as well as in donor liaison, outreach and networking
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation;
- Extensive work experience with Government in the thematic IBM area.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of French.
- Knowledge of Spanish, German, Italian, Polish, Dutch, Portuguese, Greek or another major European language an advantage.
How to apply:
- Interested candion, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/how-apply
- In order for an applicidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by January 11, 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
- For further informatation to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly filled in and submitted with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- You can track the progress of your application in your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.