After a first analysis made in view of the persistence of stagnation in vaccination coverage, 11 districts were selected as priorities on the basis of the following criteria: i) high number of unvaccinated children; ii) high Penta1 / Penta3 dropout rate. These are the districts of the regions of Kayes (Bafoulabe, Diéma, Kéniéba, Kita), Sikasso (Bougouni, Koutiala, Yorosso), Ségou (Macina, Niono), Bamako (Commune1 and Commune 6). After a year of implementation and for the achievements, 12 other districts were selected according to the same criteria. Workshops to analyze bottlenecks in access and use of immunization services were held in 21 districts and resulted in the development of EPI improvement plans based on the ACE / Equity approach. And to support their implementation, technical assistance was set up in the UNICEF area offices of Kayes, Mopti and Sikasso to support the Regional Health Directorates. The support of these technical assistants enabled:
- Improving planning by optimizing vaccination sessions; which has increased access and equitable use of immunization services that meet the needs of communities.
- Capacity building of the human resources of district actors in immunization, which made up for the qualitative insufficiency.
- Regular monitoring of stocks of vaccines and inputs which has improved their availability of immunization inputs in health facilities
- Better control of the situation of cold chain equipment, which made it possible to guarantee the quality of vaccines at the points of service.
- The establishment of engagement and accountability frameworks between the administration through the prefects and mayors, the presidents of ASACOs, representatives of women and / or young people, other representatives of communities and health services, - The establishment of rural and urban community platforms in order to promote the demand and use of vaccination services through home visits and educational talks within women's groups and the active search for children not or incompletely vaccinated and their referral to immunization services.
- Weekly collection and sharing of the epidemiological situation on vaccine-preventable diseases in their area of responsibility.
During the joint evaluation of July 2019, which focused on the results of the 2nd half of 2018 and the 1st half of 2019, the relevance of the continuation of decentralized technical assistance was recognized. This is why Gavi has agreed to fund this technical assistance again to enable UNICEF to continue supporting priority DS by making human resources available at the decentralized level.
These ToRs are part of the recruitment framework for the 3 Technical Assistants (Immunization Officer) to strengthen the implementation of the ACD / equity approach developed in the action plans of the 23 priority districts of the regions of Kayes, Mopti, Segou and Sikasso
Under the supervision of the Health specialist from the Unicef Kayes, Sikasso and Mopti offices, the staff aims to support the coordination and monitoring of the implementation of the EPI action plans of the priority districts of the Kayes regions (Bafoulabe, Diéma , Kéniéba, Kita, Kayes and Nioro); Sikasso (Koutiala, Bougouni, Yorosso, Sikasso and Kolondieba); from Ségou (Macina, Niono, Baroueli, Markala and Ségou) and from Mopti (Djenne and Mopti)
More specifically, their tasks will be:
- Participate in the annual update of micro plans of priority districts and the selection / renewal of pro-equity interventions to be implemented in said districts,
- Support the establishment and monitoring according to a participatory approach with the partners of the priority DS of the regions of Kayes, Sikasso, Ségou and Mopti, of an annual chronogram of the activities of the equity / PTR PAs and agree that they submit quarterly requests for funding of activities.
- Support the planning, implementation and reporting of the urban strategy in the large cities of the regions of Kayes, Sikasso, Ségou and Mopti;
- Provide technical support to the development / update of the social mapping of immunization stakeholders both at the level of priority districts and at the level of health areas;
- Participate on the one hand in the establishment, monitoring of the functioning and reporting of the activities of community vaccination support platforms and on the other hand ensure that regular monitoring meetings of the accountability framework are held in the districts priorities for the regions of Kayes, Sikasso, Ségou and Mopti.
- Provide technical support for the programming / implementation and reporting of advanced strategies and mobile vaccination strategies
- Participate in the development of supportive supervision plans targeted from the region to the DS, based on an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the program.
- Promoting within the regional teams, the monthly analysis of the results of immunization coverage of the DS, including the triangulation between the children vaccinated and the quantities of vaccines used, together with action points to improve the shortcomings.
- Monitor the monthly situation of vaccine stocks by SD and by each antigen and support the preparation of the monthly regional SMT report.
- Take stock weekly on the epidemiological situation of preventable diseases by vaccination in the regions in order to alert and anticipate participation in possible responses.
- Provide technical support for the analysis / validation of DIHS2 data and the preparation of presentations during quarterly EPI data review sessions and establishment of the quarterly EPI newsletter.
- Contribute to the establishment of a framework for follow-up and monitoring of interventions aimed at hard-to-reach communities.
- Participate in the analysis of the security situation and identify strategies (corridors) to reach vaccination targets.
- Provide technical support for the development of a social mapping of potential immunization stakeholders in conflict zones, both at the level of priority districts and at the level of health areas;
- Coordinate NGOs involved in vaccination in conflict zones (center and north);
- Provide technical support for the development of micro-plans and logical frameworks for NGOs working in conflict zones; Monitor the dashboards and bottlenecks of the district immunization system every six months
- Make the semi-annual follow-up of the dashboards and bottlenecks of the vaccination system of the priority districts during the mid-term evaluation workshops of the microplans.
- In the 02 priority HDs in the Mopti region, located in an insecure zone, the Staff will also have the following tasks Provide technical support for the programming of vacci nation strategies in conflict situations (Periodic intensification of routine vaccination activities or PIRI, vaccination campaigns or SIA,).
Qualification and skills required
- A Doctor of Medicine degree required; Master in public health (Master 2) desired
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in the field of management of vaccination or public health programs;
- Good knowledge of the ACD / Equity strategy and its implementation modalities
- Good experience in training health workers in EPI management (planning, logistics, communication and immunization in practice)
- Good knowledge of C4D strategies for routine EPI
- Fluency in French and working knowledge of English required. Knowledge of at least one local language of the duty station required.