PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The purpose of this position is to lead efforts to build a body of evidence to link VisionFund’s microfinance activities with child well-being outcomes and other transformational impact, aligned with WV’s Our Promise strategy. This role will commission and manage impact evaluations, the evidence from which will enable VisionFund (VF) to improve its products, services, and partnerships to achieve greater impact, and also to provide convincing narrative to support sustainable funding objectives.
The further purpose of this position is to establish a structure and process for consistent focus on outcomes and impact through regular monitoring and evaluation so that VisionFund can adjust its culture to be impact-led and client-focused. This position will also build the capacity of VF staff to collect and analyse impact data.
This position will work in partnership with World Vision (WV) personnel focused on impact to ensure complete alignment of VFs activities with WV Our Promise impact objectives.
Strategic & Technical Lead for Impact Evaluations:
- Identify gaps in VF’s evidence of impact on children and HHs.
- Develop strategy for obtaining evidence of VF’s impact, especially related to child well-being outcomes, and linked to Our Promise and the SDGs.
- Commission specialist consultants and academics to conduct research and/or impact evaluations and oversee all such projects.
- Direct and manage impact evaluations conducted by VF staff.
- Explore potential for joint evaluations with sector partners.
- Based on results of impact evaluations and other related analysis, identify individual interventions and packages of interventions that result in sustainable, positive impact on communities, individual households, and children.
- Create proposals for impact evaluations to be included in grant applications.
- Create reports and presentations related to impact for specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Represent VF in relevant forums as speaker and delegate.
- Identify, analyse and summarise evidence coming from project evaluations and research studies in VF. Where possible, leverage evidence produced by WV to fulfil VF’s needs for evidence around impact.
Develop Standard Processes to embed Impact Focus in all VF Global Centre (GC) [a.k.a. head office] Teams and Microfinance Institutions (MFI):
- Provide technical advice to VF Global Centre (GC) teams, MFI senior leaders, and to VF Senior Executives to achieve sustainable impact at scale across the entire VF network.
- Support the development of VF and MFI strategies to ensure realistic impact goals are embedded in all strategies and implementation plans.
- Work with Operations and other GC teams to develop a standardised process to embed impact goals and outcome/impact monitoring in all strategies and business plans.
- Collaborate closely with GC PIP (Products, Innovations, and Partnerships) Team to assess opportunities to improve VF’s impact, and to review existing products and services to ensure maximum impact.
- Establish with MFIs and VF GC teams the approach and capabilities required to implement monitoring systems and processes to an agreed level of quality.
Build Capacity of VF GC Teams, MFIs and Staff to evaluate and achieve Sustainable Impact at Scale:
- Actively promote best practices across all MFIs to improve quality of impact data and analysis.
- Create a plan to improve the institutional capacity of VF to conduct impact evaluations and incorporate findings into operations.
- Identify knowledge gaps related to impact and create training material for staff based on priority of need.
- Identify evidence for marketing and brand-positioning purposes.
- Support VF MFI and GC to enhance their understanding of impact of microfinance facilitate their ability to demonstrate results to various stakeholder audiences.
- Share findings and lessons learned within VFI and WVI through dissemination of technical reports, data summaries, info-graphics and other innovative presentations.
Maintain Alignment and Collaboration with WV and other VF Partners and Stakeholders:
- Maintain active relationships with WVI impact specialists, ensuring the VFI’s impact evaluations, etc., are entirely aligned with WV Our Promise.
- Work in close collaboration with WV’s Global Livelihoods team to ensure complete alignment, and to build hard evidence of impact in all joint programmes.
- Spend time with MFI senior management teams and with WV National Offices in establishing which evidence-based packages of interventions to help smallholder farmers provide sustainably for their children.
- Remain up-to-date with research relevant to economic development and advise VF senior leaders.
Any other reasonable duties as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Master’s degree in at least one of agriculture, business/commerce, microfinance, or development studies.
- 10 years’ work experience in international development.
- 10 years’ experience of conducting impact evaluations in either academic or business environments, with a considerable portion of that research conducted in the field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience of leading and commissioning impact evaluations.
- Experience of establishing programme quality measures and processes.
- Experience of building the capacity of field teams to collect relevant data and information.
- Experience of building the capacity of teams to design and conduct small impact evaluations.
- Experience in building collaborative partnerships for increased field level impact.
Experience of measuring outcomes and impact from economic development programmes such as:
Credit to develop agricultural and other livelihoods
- Exceptional understanding of the role of economic development in transforming communities, empowering women, and improving the lives of children, both through personal experience and academic learning.
- Exceptional ability to form good working relationships, requiring highly developed people-skills both face-to-face and in writing, and in all virtual forms of communication.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English.
- Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Effective at public speaking.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in Spanish and/or French.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel internationally up to 30% of the time.
- The position may be home based, which means that the job-holder must be comfortable not working in direct contact with colleagues, and must have the self-discipline necessary both to achieve agreed goals, and to maintain work-life balance.