A reinvigorated resident coordinator (RC) system is at the centre of a repositioned United Nations development system. While the system has been instrumental in driving coherence on the ground over the past four decades, it is now insufficiently robust to respond to the needs of the 2030 Agenda. The resident coordinator offices will need to be adequately staffed to ensure sufficient substantive capacities to lead United Nations country teams. The core capacity will include expertise in coordination and strategic planning, economics, tailored policy support, results monitoring and evaluation, and strategic partnerships, plus a robust standing communications capacity within United Nations country teams.
The consultancy position is located in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) in multiple countries and typically reports to the Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader. The position also maintains a close working relationship with the United Nations Department of Global Communications (DGC), which sets the communications and advocacy priorities of the United Nations around the world and includes a second reporting line to DGC, working in very close collaboration with the UN Information Centre. This position is in support of the UNIC-RCO integration.
SCOPE OF WORK, RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESCRIPTION OF THE PROPOSED ANALYTICAL WORK
Scope of Work
The UN Resident Coordinator’s Office has identified the need for Communication and Advocacy Consultant. The post holder will report directly to the Head of RCO.
Summary of key functions
- Plans and facilitates strategic, advocacy and programme communications in support of the UN Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF)
- Contributes to partnership building and media relations
- Plans and facilitates digital communications
- Provides substantive support for publications and brand management
- Plans and facilitates the local promotion of United Nations global communications and advocacy priorities on the work of the United Nations in other key thematic areas, along with advocating on local issues internationally
Description of Functions:
Plans and facilitates strategic advocacy and programme communications in support of the UNSDF
- Provides substantive support to the Resident Coordinator (RC) and UN Country Team (UNCT) in designing, implementing and monitoring the UN joint advocacy and communication strategy, promoting the UNSDF as the primary instrument for the planning and implementation of UN development activities in the country, in support of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Researches, analyzes and presents inputs to the RC and UNCT on strategic advocacy and programme communications for the 2030 Agenda and to boost impact of programmatic objectives under the UNSDF;
- Plans and facilitates the promotion of advocacy and communications as a tool for a participatory approach to UNSDF implementation and monitoring, taking into consideration the views and priorities of the most vulnerable;
- Monitors and analyzes the media in the areas related to the UN’s mandates and programmes in the country, as well as other issues relevant to the UN brand and positioning;
- Provides substantive support to the RC and UNCT on public messaging and media outreach, and assists in managing reputational risks or crises around sensitive issues;
- Identifies and assesses potential issues, concerns and risks related to communications and advocacy, and suggests corrective actions to the RC and UNCT, Programme Management Team (PMT) and Outcome Groups;
- Plans, coordinates and facilitates the work of the UN Communications Group (UNCG) throughout the stages of the UNSDF cycle, along with promoting Communicating as One and Decade of Action;
- In collaboration with the UN Communications Group and the UN Programme Management Team, and in coordination with the RCO colleagues responsible for data management and results reporting, prepares the annual communication plan to publicize and communicate results with a focus on the UN’s development impact;
- Assists the RC and UNCT in projecting the UN’s image effectively and accurately as well as promoting transparency and accountability;
- Provides substantive support to ensure that communication performance indicators are identified, incorporated, monitored and reported on throughout the UNSDF cycle, along with communicating on the UNRCO priorities.
Contributes to partnership building and media relations
- Plans and facilitates the engagement of key traditional and non-traditional partners, including government, civil society, private sector, development partners and other new as well as traditional actors on the collective 2030 Agenda and the related role and impact of the UN’s work in country;
- Provides substantive support to the RC and UNCT in significantly expanding public outreach on the 2030 Agenda, Decade of Action, 75 years of UN, SDGs and the UN’s role and impact in country;
- Plans and facilitates public engagement on the UN’s role and work in country, including through programme visits showcasing the UN’s development impact;
- Establishes the UN as a Thought Leader amongst partners and media using the RC as the Spokesperson
- Undertakes regular liaison with other partners for content development, information exchange, collaborative communication efforts, and innovative communication and advocacy tools, as assigned;
- Compiles and analyzes communication experiences and shares findings with country, regional and HQ communication colleagues so that best practices benefit the UN’s communication work;
- Develops and maintains close working relationships with the media, including editors and journalists in key national and international news outlets; develops, maintains and updates media relations contact list/database;
- Prepares official briefing materials, talking points, speeches, statements, op-eds and presentations as necessary.
Plans and facilitates digital communications
- When needed develops and maintains external and internal digital communications platforms such as the UN country team website, official UN country team social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.), Intranet and on-line collaboration platforms, etc.;
- Plans and facilitates the development and implementation of a digital content strategy and contributes to the development of key communications and advocacy products (e.g. human-interest stories, multilingual and multimedia content, etc.).
- Conducts exercises exploring the applicability of new and emerging tools and techniques to digital communications and advocacy activities to reach a wider, younger audience.
Provides substantive support for publications and branding management
- Provides substantive support to the RC and UNCT on joint UN publications ensuring high quality standards and the correct application of the UN branding guidelines and the UN publishing standards.
- Prepares inputs for the RC and UNCT on the use of the UN joint brand at country level across UN content and products, both offline and online.
- Drafts and publishes communication publications, including but not limited to, fact sheets, briefs, talking points, backgrounders etc., to support the RC communication and advocacy endeavors.
- Plans and organizes launch events for joint UN publications, coordinating with author entities in the UN country team and relevant local partners, including host country authorities, media representatives, members of academia, etc. to ensure high visibility and impact.
Plans and facilitates the local promotion of United Nations global communications and advocacy priorities on the work of the United Nations in other key thematic areas, along with advocating on local issues internationally
- Provides substantive support to the United Nations Department of Global Communications in adapting and localizing global communications and advocacy priorities promoting the work of the United Nations in key thematic areas.
- Advises the Resident Coordinator on possible sources of funding and in-kind support and partnerships that could be leveraged for promoting localized global campaigns, galvanizing local, regional and global support as relevant.
- Conducts educational outreach activities, including the organization of Model United Nations conferences and public-speaking engagements at local educational institutions with support from and/or the participation of the Resident Coordinator and/or the UN country team.
- Evaluates results and impact of communications and advocacy initiatives promoting the work of the United Nations in key thematic areas other than development, reporting the outcome to the Resident Coordinator, the UN country team and the United Nations Department of Global Communications.