Oxfam is a global movement of people who won’t live with the injustice of poverty. Together we save
and rebuild lives in disasters. We help people build better lives for themselves. We speak out on the
big issues that keep people poor, like inequality, discrimination against women and climate change.
And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can live without poverty.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
Providing overall leadership and guidance for the influencing and partnership work of Oxfam in Sierra
Leone, the Influencing and Partnership Lead ensures that the country programme develops and delivers
a coherent influencing and partnership strategy using the one programme approach in line with the
Oxfam in Sierra Leone’s Country Strategy.
- Establish and maintain functional relationships with policy makers, government officials, civil society, development partners and other interest groups who can either be targets or alliance partners of our advocacy and influencing work
- Establish and strengthen existing partner and alliance forums and networks useful for formulation of common actions to tackle policies, attitudes and practices associated with poverty
- Facilitate development of common positions and policy products (policy papers, position papers etc) necessary for lobbying for changes in policies, institutions and attitudes.
- Work closely with internal & external media colleagues to build influencing analysis and information into media products and undertake briefings/act as a spokesperson with media outlets as may be delegated by the CD
- Undertake proactive lobby and policy work with Government, UN agencies, donors and other actors, and advise/brief Oxfam colleagues ahead of external meetings as appropriate.
- Proactive participation in campaign decision – establishing strategic fora, working closely with appropriate
- policy and media colleagues in the region and globally in relation to campaigns with relevance to the Sierra
- Leone Country programme
- Work closely with the Programme staff and management team to recommend approaches around highlevel public policy decisions, drawing on information from within and outside the organisation, considering sensitivities within the political context, and implications for public perception of Oxfam and its programming.
- Represent Oxfam in Sierra Leone at national, regional and global forums to enhance programme visibility, influence funding priorities of development partners and lobby for change in policies that perpetuate poverty
- Support in the design, communication and information materials for Oxfam interventions.
- Capacity Building of Partners and Staff
- Develop advocacy baseline analysis across the programme, where it is missing, and support staff to develop skills to be able to conduct high quality advocacy analysis.
- Develop and implement a detailed plan for building the capacity of partner organisations, especially in influencing, lobbying and organisation development. This will include needs assessment, capacity building approach and delivery plan including tools and methodologies, performance standards, and evaluation approach
- Advise HR on recruitment and capacity building needs for the programme team to ensure appropriate human resourcing and capacity levels of the team
- Lead on the efforts of implementing Oxfam’s Partnership Strategy through identification and development of key strategic partners and relationship building
- Work closely with the Area Programme Managers to ensure quality in project development, implementation and grant management
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning:
- In collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Area Managers and other program Leads, develop an influencing and advocacy work that is aligned to within Oxfam mandate in sierra Leone.
- Monitor and support self-audits of ongoing partners audits, including the fulfilment of agreements with partners review (delivery of reports, revisions of agreements, use of budget balances, etc.)
- Organize annual partner working group meetings to facilitate learning and exchange among all partners.
- Conduct regular monitoring visits, follow up, conduct evaluation of grants, projects, and recommend appropriate actions as necessary. Report on partner compliance with terms of grants and contracts.
- Work with the Head of programs to design subsequent annual work plans and participate in the conduct of an annual impact reflection exercise in collaboration with the MEL officer at the country level.
Programme Development and Resource Mobilisation:
- Lead the development and delivery of influencing and partnership work in Sierra Leone liaising across the
- Oxfam confederation, ensuring, as required, tactical and effective engagement from programme staff within connectors, advisors and knowledge hubs.
- Lead and work with programme teams, based on the one programme approach, to ensure influencing positions are evidence based.
- Ensure that the programme frameworks, while embracing influencing and advocacy initiatives, are aligned
- Job Profile Template Oct 2018 towards working more with others and in partnerships and networks
- Provide and share regular analysis on political and programme developments and trends from a variety of sources
- Participate in development of project proposals and ensure that influencing and partnership actions are adequately resourced
- Lead in the preparation and revision of budgets for the partners and influencing and advocacy work in consultation with Finance team to ensure that there is sufficient budget for influencing work.
- People Management
- Line manage the Media & Communications Officer that their delivery is in accordance with Oxfam’s policies and procedures, including but not limited to the Code of Conduct, Performance Management, Security,
- Health and Safety and local
- Participate in, where appropriate, Country Leadership Team (CLT) processes, contributing to the overall management and leadership of the country programme
- Create and support an environment which results in strong partnerships, influence, knowledge sharing and innovation.
Contribute and influence policy in relation to Accountable Governance:
- Promote and encourage an environment of learning and reflection on good practice
- Advocate for and influence on distinct change issues
- Prepare advocacy plans and implement advocacy processes influencing sector policy at local, national that contribute to regional and global issues
- Develop and maintain key relationships with NGO allies and NGO networks; represent Oxfam in
- NGO coalitions and play a lead role in NGO coalitions and working groups as appropriate to
- Oxfam’s expertise and programme experience.
- Develop and write policy papers, advocacy issue briefs, and research reports to inform policy change
- Collaborate with media houses and campaign leads to support the development of press and campaigning strategies that support policy change
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE:
Technical Skills, Experience, and Knowledge
- Advanced degree in Public Policy, Economics, International Relations, Development Studies, Social
- Sciences or relevant qualification
- Minimum of 4 years working experience in similar position
- Experience in policy formulation, influencing and implementation of strategic plans
- Experience in designing and carrying out research and analysis with well-developed analytical, conceptual, research and writing skills.
- Experience in engaging with the media and campaign staff to support the development of press and campaigning strategies.
- A deep understanding of policy issues and trends, nationally, regionally and globally, with existing relationships to global and regional policy analysis networks.
- Well-developed gender analysis skills, with a particular understanding of the gendered nature of governance in Sierra Leone, impacts and related financial flows.
- Ability to use new technology and social media to convey complex ideas in thoughtful, creative ways, and able to tailor communication to a variety of different audiences.
- Experience in carrying out influencing capacity building and training for civil society organizations is a strong advantage. Experience in policy dialogue, advocacy and lobbying with government and private sector actors.
- Proven ability in social research and macro policy analysis, with a focus on pro poor policies.
- A collaborative team player who has the ability to apply high-level conceptual analysis to generate practical ideas, and to tailor and communicate these to diverse audiences with authority and empathy.
- Experience in managing people in a likeminded organization related to the theme.
- Understanding of gender issues in development and humanitarian programming, including key challenges and approaches to mainstreaming gender into programme design and management.
- Knowledge of training tools and methods and proven experience delivering training on accountability and
- transparency -responsive programmes and advocacy.
- Excellent people skills, with proven ability to motivate others and work collaboratively, requiring strong selfawareness and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to adapt and work within a multicultural, multilingual and multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to travel regularly at short notice.
- Practical experience in organization development, civil society engagement, communication, lobbying and policy advocacy, engaging civil society, private sector and government on extractive industry and related issues.
- Knowledge of and experience working on fiscal, gender, environmental and human rights issues in the extractive industries.
- Knowledge of and experience working with international financial institutions, multi-national companies, government agencies, media etc.
- Strong communication, analytical, research and professional writing skills; writing must be easily adaptable to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated advocacy and network building skills.
- Diplomatic and tactful in dealing with a variety of actors and influence targets.