The traineeship programme in ACAPS is meant to be a valuable and enriching experience for people interested in a career in the humanitarian sector and who are specifically interested in data analysis, humanitarian planning and in promoting evidence-based decision making.
The trainee analyst will develop valuable knowledge in analysis techniques, including secondary data review, joint analysis, and data management. This knowledge and experience is transferable in the future to positions involving programme design, information management, assessment, and analysis in the humanitarian sector.
- Participate in the production of ACAPS analysis and documentation through secondary data review and other analysis methodologies.
- Support the development of ACAPS knowledge and guidance on better data collection, data preparedness activities, analysis and reporting.
- Conduct monitoring of information on global political, economic, social, and humanitarian developments.
- Deliver analysis and Briefing Notes on rapid onset crises upon request, in a limited time ranging from 12 to 24 hours depending on alert.
- Under the supervision of the senior analyst, conduct long-term research and deliver original research projects, autonomously or in team.
- Through regular monitoring of crises identify when necessary to produce thematic ad hoc reports and analysis (qualitative and/or quantitative).
- Support the communications team to disseminate analysis reports by providing summary text and tag lines for use on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, and on occasion, carrying out dissemination activity via social media.
Methodology and product refinement
- Contribute to the improvement of ACAPS analysis methodologies. Participate in internal evaluation to improve the quality of analysis activity.
- Contribute to the joint reflexion of the team regarding the evolution of ACAPS analysis products (product design and development).
- Support the review process of methodology documents and analysis products, and provide support to ACAPS methodology development notably in doing research for developing technical briefs.
Perform other duties in the organisation as appropriate, including but not limited to:
- Using acquired skills, provide support to new Trainee Analysts with briefings, assistance and on the job training.
- Participate in, support, or lead specific ad hoc projects, as requested.
- Be “on call” to research and draft Briefing Notes outside business hours.