OCHA's mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to:
- alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies
- advocate for the rights of people in need
- promote preparedness and prevention
- facilitate sustainable solutions.
In December 1991, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 46/182 designed to strengthen the United Nation's response to both complex emergencies and natural disasters. In addition, it aimed at improving the overall effectiveness of the UN's humanitarian operations in the field.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Administrative Officer or ICT Analyst, the ICT Support Associate provides ensures the execution of ICT services in the Maiduguri Office and the sub-offices in Borno state. implements ICT management systems and strategies, provides daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure. The incumbent is responsible for review and advice on the use of new technologies that will enhance the office productivity. The ICT Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach.
The ICT Assistant supports staff and works in close collaboration with the OCHA ICT Analyst in Abuja and OCHA ICT Associate in Maiduguri and staff for resolving complex ICT-related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of ICT strategies and introduction/implementation of new technologies
- Effective functioning of the CO hardware and software packages
- Networks administration
- Provision of web management services
- Provision of administrative support
Ensures effective functioning of the office hardware and software packages focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Provision of advice on maintenance of equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies, making routine repairs and change of hardware electronic components.
- Development of new software packages for high impact results (e.g. office management system, electronic registry, etc) as required
Ensures efficient networks administration focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Operation of network utility procedures defining network users and security attributes establishing directories, menus and drive-mappings, configuring network printers and providing user access.
- Ensure that the OCHA desktop and network resources are protected from malicious virus attacks and deploy countermeasures in the event of the attacks
- Trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems.
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Maintenance of up-to-date parameters of information for the network clients and electronic mail.
- Implementation of backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Organization of off-site storage of backups.
- Maintenance of measures in place for business continuity and disaster recover processes and procedures including backup and restoration of both server and local storage facilities.
- Timely LAN Infrastructure and Internet connectivity upgrade to meet OCHA requirements.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education.
- University Degree in Computer Science desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Cisco Certified Network Engineer (CCNE) and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) required. If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within 6 months.
- 4 years of working experience in network administration and use of hardware/software, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of database packages, experience in web design.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.