Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) Project Officer (open to Somali nationals only)
Norwegian Refugee Council, Doolow, Somalia
Closing Date for Applications:
P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application on WebCruiter. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
- NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across nine countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
- The purpose of the ICLA Project Officer position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the delegated ICLA project activities in Dollow.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
Duties and responsibilities
- Monitor and report on the project activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards
- Work with the implementing partners and monitors to verify and triangulate PRMN reports
- Distribute and monitor the use of Small Grant Funds(SGF) and Emergency Grant Funds (EGF) funds according to procedures
- Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the PRMN activities
- Report all protection related concerns
- Carry out data collection as required
- Prepare field visit reports
- Prepare and file relevant documents as required by line manager
- Conduct advocacy related activities
- Lead HLP activities giving advice and information to clients on the processes involved, awareness sessions and managing local authorities’ capacity building programmes
- Facilitate ICLA/PRMN activities under the agreement with UNHCR and participate in all the necessary steps for the operation.
- Work closely with local partner NGOs of the PRMN project to facilitate the Small Grant Fund (SGF) and the Emergency Grant Fund (EGF) in close coordination with UNHCR protection officers
- Act as a focal point for needs assessments and beneficiary selection
- Undertake regular field visits (as and when security allows) to conduct ICLA activities
- Ensure smooth project cycle from implementation, project monitoring, verification of completion and evaluation
- Apply participatory and inclusive processes in project implementation and in promoting local capacities to help themselves wherever possible
- Understand situation including legal situations (according to national and international laws and principles) for refugees, returnees and Internally Displaced Persons in Somalia
- Assist in developing and implementing case management systems and databases of cases
- Support preparing and updating case management systems and database of cases
- Support in the preparation and update of and mapping service providers in the area of responsibility
- Conduct group information sessions for ICLA beneficiaries through outreach, awareness campaigns and advocacy initiatives
- Undertake verification of all PRMN reports submitted online by PRMN partners and approving them for uploading in the NRC Database.
- Undertake regular field visits (as and when security allows) to verify information with monitors and other concerned parties.
- Maintain regular communication with monitors to answer any queries they have with regards to PRMN issues.
- Analyse and produce bi-monthly quantitative and qualitative PRMN summary reports.
- Bring to the immediate attention of the PO emergency support issues requiring immediate action and support.
- Any other tasks assigned by the line manager.
- Bachelor degree in law, social science, conflict resolution and international relation or relevant fields
- Min of 3yrs experience from working in projects with LNGOs, UN or INGO
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of English
- Knowledge of the context in Juballand Somalia
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and representation skills
- Strong computer application skills
- Strong analytical skills Political and cultural awareness
- Good knowledge of International Human Rights standards, Conflict resolution and Humanitarian Law
- Sound knowledge sharing; document development and review and administrative skills
- Goal oriented with ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision